What is a good air compressor for a DIY Mechanic?

More
6 years 4 months ago #48729 by moparfan7008
Replied by moparfan7008 on topic What is a good air compressor for a DIY Mechanic?

Awkward Shellfish wrote:

snshd wrote: ... me personally I prefer an oiled compressor over a dry pump. Longer life and less noise. ....

I'm sorry, I don't what to seem like I'm hi-jacking this thread, but what's the difference between an "oiled compressor" and a "dry pump?" We have three compressors around the house; a Craftsman (Sears), a Husky (Home Depot), and another Husky that's small enough to fit inside a small 4 cyl car. I don't quite remember how much each three hold, however I'm curious to find out what KIND of compressors they are. I'm just the average no nothing consumer. :silly:

The compression piston chamber needs adequate lubrication. Oil is used in oiled compressors. In dry-pump compressors, the cylinder is permanently lubricated, mostly with Teflon. That's the major difference. If the owner's manual doesn't say that periodic oil changes are needed, you likely have a 'dry pump' compressor.

Oil free (Dry Pump)
Little Maintenance
Fewer Parts
Light Weight
Inexpensive
Less Durable
Louder
Light/Medium duty and Non-commercial Applications

Oiled
Periodic Oil Changes
More Parts
Heavier Weight
More Expensive
More Durable
Quieter
Heavy Duty and Commercial Applications
The following user(s) said Thank You: Xyius

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Xyius
  • Xyius's Avatar Topic Author
  • 4th Gear
  • 4th Gear
  • The Quantum Mechanic
More
6 years 4 months ago #48739 by Xyius
Man! I am loving all these replies! I am learning a lot!

More
6 years 4 months ago #48755 by twiggy02919
Replied by twiggy02919 on topic What is a good air compressor for a DIY Mechanic?
I have the Husky 30 gallon compressor from Home Depot. It's an oil'ed model and made by Campbell Hausfield, assembled in the US. I love it and its so much quieter than the oil-less compressor it replaced.

Automotive engineer specializing in sensors.

More
6 years 4 months ago #48937 by snshd
I should probably add, NEVER use an extension cord with a compressor or any high amp tool. It will have performance problems and burn the motor out faster. If you can't get a compressor close enough then get more air hose.

More
6 years 4 months ago #50303 by drthrift035
Replied by drthrift035 on topic What is a good air compressor for a DIY Mechanic?
The best compressor for a DIY mechanic is something that is versatile. You need something that can run all off your tools without the pressure build up delay. I personally hate to wait for the compressor to build up pressure. You need to be able to run the following: Air Hammer, Air Ratchet, Impact Wrenches Etc.

More
5 months 1 week ago #200979 by wayne01
Hey Matt,
first of all i would like you to tell that air compressor is used in various things , so firstly you have to get it clear for what use you need an air compressor and after that you will go ahead.
if you want to purchase it for diy things then i would like you to suggest Senco PC1010 because it,s perfect for diy.

Also one of my friend who is a mechanic wrote a guide www.consumersbase.com/best-air-compressor/ about air compressor and i hope after reading the guide your doubts will get cleared.

Thankyou!

Time to create page: 0.242 seconds