Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Does Any Other Technician / Mechanic Service Brakes Like This?

Does Any Other Technician / Mechanic Service Brakes Like This?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion Does Any Other Technician / Mechanic Service Brakes Like This?

• Creator
    Topic
    SeanSean
    Participant

Hey guys,

Long time fan of ETCG, and for the most part all of my repair methods match his.

But i recently found South Main Auto Repair (Eric O’s channel).
      And for the most part, it’s pretty good.

However, he services brakes in the strangest way i have ever seen.

He lubes between the caliper bracket and the brake hardware?
      See: https://youtu.be/7NAeWnDObO8?t=1065 for this in action.
      *the link is timestamped, should start at 17:45

I have seen him do this many times, but i’ve not seen a single comment besides my own about it anywhere.
      I also haven’t been able to find any professional manual or “shop” tutorial (you know like the technical institute / mechanics 2 year college videos) showing this.

What is your opinion on that method for servicing brakes?

EDIT: Apparently, he addresses this in this same video (whoops): https://youtu.be/7NAeWnDObO8?t=1586

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      RobRob
      Participant

I’m not a mechanic, but have maintained my own cars for my entire life. I do this too. I live in Scotland, where they use A LOT of road salt. It’s something I picked up through experience, and started doing it to help with corrosion between the surfaces.

I generally strip my brakes in the spring, and it all comes apart so much more easily, and it’s much easier to clean up.

PaulPaul
        Participant

The shop manual for the 04-08 Acura TSX states to lubricate all the areas that SMA did. I assumed it was a common procedure for Honda. I too live in an area where a lot of road salt is used in winter, and years of rust buildup can cause the pads to bind. Personally, I wouldn’t lubricate the slider pins with the Permatex purple goo, rather silicone paste.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…