Menu

RWD in harsh winters?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion RWD in harsh winters?

• Creator
    Topic
    Christopher DavisChristopher Davis
    Participant

Hello there, I’m not sure if I’m posting this in the right place, but here goes

I’m planning on moving up to Michigan later this year. The part of Michigan I’m moving to is the eastern part of the Upper Peninsula, which is notorious for harsh winter conditions. I’m asking for advice on what I should do or how to drive my car differently to get optimum results while driving during the winter. I have a 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria with a conventional front engine, rear wheel drive setup. Engine is Ford’s 302 V8. Because my car is old, it doesn’t have stability control, traction control or anti lock brakes. People say that RWD vehicles and snow/ice don’t mix. I’ve been thinking about buying a set of used rims from a junkyard to put snow tires on. Other then snow tires, I don’t know what else I can do to make my car safer to drive in winter.

Any advice will be appreciated,

Sincerely,

Christopher Davis

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Christopher DavisChristopher Davis
      Participant

I also forgot to mention that it also gets severely cold up there, at times reaching 15 to 20 below zero (not including wind chill) especially if the wind is coming off of Lake Superior. So is there different types of batteries I should look for to make my car crank over easier? I currently have a Super Start Extreme battery with 985 CA’s, 800 CCA’s, and 115 minute reserve life. Battery is approaching 3 years old, but I haven’t had any trouble with it yet. Also, would I need a different antifreeze or related fluids? I currently run 10W-30 oil in my car, but I can use 5W-30 oil if I need to.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…