Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Where would it be possible to find a cheap scrappy engine to take apart?

Where would it be possible to find a cheap scrappy engine to take apart?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion Where would it be possible to find a cheap scrappy engine to take apart?

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by AdamAdam.
  • Creator
    Topic
    MathewMathew
    Participant

I have been hoping to gain some more knowledge in cars, and to do so I was wondering where is a good place near Los Angeles to buy a scrapyard engine or something of the sort. It would also be cool to see the inner workings of a transmission, if they sell those as well. I was hoping 200$ or less, because I hear scrapyards can be cheap, I just don’t know where to start looking.
      Thanks all

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      asetoftoolsasetoftools
      Participant

pick n pull?
        what about buying a whole car, if you have somewhere to park it. one can get cars for $200 on craigslist.

but i think a lot of people start with a motorcycle engine when learning.

for me, i got no space for a project like that!

you could probably do this real cheap, just find an auto wrecker and camp out there for a day or two disassembling an engine or two or three! i often test out repairs on wrecker vehicles, when i have lived close to one that lets you pull your own parts that is…

MathewMathew
        Participant

I would be down to buy a car like that, but would I need insurance for it, and I know nothing about cars, so I wouldn’t know where to start with fixing it or something. Also, could I just yank out the engine of a to be scrapped car and say take it home with me to tear apart there. Finally do you have any idea for the pricing say to take home an engine or transmission without the car itself? Thanks

MattMatt
          Participant

Get a pickup if you don’t already have one. Rent one from Home Depot if you have to. Have a plan on how you’re getting it out of the truck before you get there, borrow or rent an engine lift if you have to. If you get a whole car, just have it towed to your place.

I’ve learned so much from scrapping cars, taking them apart piece by piece. 1985 BMW was my first victim, I didn’t have an engine lift, so I took the motor apart in the car, and lifted the 4 cylinder block out by hand. My second victim was my 03 Expedition that got totaled last April. I didn’t mess around taking that motor apart, borrowed a lift and hauled it off in the replacement truck. Learned more, taught my son how to sawzall a truck, and got $600 from the scrap. Kept the front seats, making gaming chairs out of them. But that’s a thought, get a car really cheap, learn to cut it apart, separating the metals, and profit from a learning experience.

AdamAdam
            Participant

Pick N’ Pull also around holidays like Memorial Days will have a 50% sale usually. So that engine might be around $75 at that time (don’t forget they will probably hit you with a core charge, here in Chicago they hit you with an enviromental charge but that’s minor).

The other thing will be the weight of the engine, like the previous post from Flintiron, you probably need an engine lift and probably a stand. But most importantly, what type of vehicle or brand do you like? There’s a difference between makers as well as things like weight.

I would also agree if you are getting into working on engines without any knowledge, I would look for things like lawnmowers and small engines to begin with. After that, read up on stuff in the meantime like engines that have timing chains vs timing belts. A jumped timing could absolutely ruin a motor and you would just be taking apart an engine without any resolve.

American or Import? Subaru boxer? VW VR6 or 1.8T? Chevy 1.6L? Mopar 340 V-8?

But also if you are just going to junk yards to look for now, read on how to check for a good engine or how to spot neglect. It’s pretty basic but checking for sludged oil and fouled plugs/coils and checking plugs with gauges will get you into understanding very basic introductions with engines.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…