Menu

Technicians and mechanics

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion Technicians and mechanics

• Creator
    Topic
    Logan CaudillLogan Caudill
    Participant

First, hi guys, first post on the forum here. Nice too meet all of you!

So recently I decided to go back to school to follow a dream my grandad didn’t get to follow, become a mechanic. I wasn’t going to a fancy school, just the local tech school because that’s about all I can afford honestly. The course I plan on taking is getting my diploma as an automotive technician, it goes over everything about a car from electrical systems, fuel systems, down to drivetrain and engines, but herein lies my problem. I guess because I’m looking at it from a DYIer and I’m not jaded as they say, I worry. Will getting a college diploma as an “automotive technician” make me that, just an automotive technician? Or can I still be like everyone’s local mom and pop mechanic shop? Any help for a person that seems just a bit crazy is appreciated!

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Jason WhiteJason White
      Participant

Welcome to the field, if this is what you really want to do, your passion, then by all means, lets do this. Good move going to school. It will help you, especially down the line. Don’t listen to those who tell you that you don’t need to go to school. Secondly, good move on the local college. Those “fancy” schools don’t do any better of a job but will put you in debt. I would suggest getting a job with a dealership. They have a lot of training and will bring you up. It will take some time. Please don’t tell me you want to go through all this just to help folks out with their cars. There is better things you can do if you want to be a charity.

BluesnutBluesnut
        Participant

It takes more than a diploma to make a mechanic.Some people graduate and don’t have the faintest clue as to where to begin with a car problem.

I’m not accusing you of being ignorant so please don’t take it that way. My comment is simply based on my experience with a couple of guys who had 2 years and an Associates Degree and absolutely no clue.

One had a 2 year degree in diesel technology and had no (seriously) idea that the glow plugs needed to work to starte the engine.

I agree that a local tech school is best. Avoid those overpriced BS artists that advertise on TV all the time and who will leave you seriously in debt.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…