Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • rebuilding brake calipers for storage

rebuilding brake calipers for storage

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion rebuilding brake calipers for storage

• Creator
    Topic
    PeterPeter
    Participant

Hi all,

car info:
      year: 2004
      make: Dodge
      Model: Stratus
      Trim: Sedan, SE, J vin

I recently replaced my front brake calipers with reman’d units, because the dust boot was torn on both sides and they were starting to stick. I replaced rotors, pads, calipers and soft lines on both sides (the calipers and hoses were original to the car). The core charge on the new calipers was only $20 per side, so I decided to buy two seal kits, replacement pistons, and hardware (slide pins, rubber bits, etc) for around $15 per caliper.

I have a factory service manual, so I have a vehicle-specific guide for rebuilding these calipers, but since I plan on storing them, in case my calipers need replacing again in the future, is there anything I should do differently to rebuild them for “storage” and not for immediate use? Or should I hold off on rebuilding these calipers until I’m ready to use them?

Thank you!

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MikeMike
      Participant

I wouldn’t rebuild the calipers until you need them.

It might be an idea to store them in a zip-lock bag along with some dessicant pouches. Do the same with your rubber components, and store the rubber stuff away from sunlight.

PeterPeter
        Participant

Cool sounds like a plan. Any thoughts on at least cleaning up the cylinder with a hone, cleaning/painting the outside, and storing it in cosmoline (or similar) rust inhibitor?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…