Menu

Fairmont Suggestions

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion Fairmont Suggestions

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

I have some plans of my own but they say that the more the merrier. I’m opening this thread to see what some of YOUR ideas are for the car. If nothing else it will be nice to see how you, the fans of the project, think.

Attachments:
    Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      JimJim
      Participant

Maintain the original appearance. But update the suspension and drivetrain.

Adam WestAdam West
        Participant

As nice as it looks with the original paint I would still murder it out, black everything, remove those hub caps… Maybe tint & HID headlights

Matthew S.Matthew S.
          Participant

Even tho its a Ford, its got sleeper written all over it. I’d stuff the biggest engine I could get my hands onto whether it be crate, LS, or something used like a 351 or caddy 500. Add an EFI system (or make one like the megasquirt) and voila, now you can take your sleeper anywhere.

Duncan MacPhersonDuncan MacPherson
            Participant

Honestly, I think your plans for it are the best plans. Yes, a standard transmission would be a lot more fun, but it would ruin the look of the car. It may give it away as a sleeper. I’m excited to see you create an amazing sleeper. The body is immaculate for the age. I think this project is going to be worth every penny you spend. I’m excited for the real work to begin.

AlexAlex
              Participant

I would recommend working on the entire suspension. Get polyurethane bushings, aftermarket coil-over from the fox body mustang, and a large f/r sway bar. Also maybe a 5 lug + disk brake conversion would be pretty sweet. I’d say leave the engine as is for now because that’s a bigger long term investment.

WayneWayne
                Participant

Fuzzy dice = must have. Shortest..show..ever.

I got nothin, any of the mustang parts places specializing in fox body stuff pretty much make anything you can think of possible. Any sort of upgrades for plans for larger upgrades later I’m all for (brakes, suspension, rear swap,etc).

JaneJane
                  Participant

I would like to put a more lively engine and gearbox [transmission] in there.
                    Here is a few great options which are a fraction of the weight of a standard mustang engine.
                    http://www.topspeed.com/cars/ford/2014-ford-mustang-ar159714.html
                    Mustang engine is 4.6 L SOHC 3-valve Modular V8 with variable camshaft timing (VCT) that produced 300 hp.
                    O-60 6.8 seconds top speed 135 mph go ‘large yet small’… You need to see…
                    http://www.carduels.com/it/duel/100641/Mercedes-Benz-SLR-McLaren-VS-Ford-Mustang
                    These are sports engines.
                    http://www.scot-tec.co.uk/a/SLK-V6-AMG-supercharged.jpg 0-60 in 4.9 Seconds top speed 168MPH Good Gas mileage
                    Or
                    http://www.scot-tec.co.uk/a/V8_Supercharged.jpg 0-60 in 4.2 seconds top speed 205MPH Naff gas mileage
                    May possibly make you loose your hat in the back seat…

Watch AMG engine being built

Low level engine profile so no need to change how the Fairmont looks, until you step on the gas.
                    These would mean lots of modifications though.
                    Jane

See AMG V8 engine and transmission in use on a dyno
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euJNhEuK9jk

danwat1234danwat1234
                    Participant

I know it’s not your thing Eric but my idea would be to replace the engine with a high output electric motor, maybe 175KW and a lithium battery pack, 1 under the hood and the other where the spare tire goes. A controller and liquid cooling system to do the magic.

Mikel BMikel B
                      Participant

The ETCG Fairmont looks very nice stock so I would leave it looking stock.

~ 300HP Ford 302 (5.0L)
                        ~ Long tube Headers
                        ~ Electric radiator fan
                        ~ EFI
                        ~ AOD or E4OD Transmission
                        ~ 3.73 or 4.10 gear ratio
                        ~ 5 lug conversion
                        ~ Upgrade the front disk brakes, then convert the rear to disk brakes
                        ~ Braided steel brake lines
                        ~ Shocks and springs
                        ~ Tires
                        ~ Protect frame
                        ~ Stereo System
                        ~ Convert Brake lights to LED bulbs
                        ~ HID headlights (55w High/Low)
                        ~ Convert blinkers to LED bulbs

RileyRiley
                        Participant

I really really like the sleeper idea. Like Eric, I’d never see myself driving a V8 Mustang… but a Fairmont with a Mustang drivetrain… YES.

I’d essentially do what Eric is doing… but try to keep true to the 1979 theme. A 302 Windsor with a carburetor coupled to a 4 speed Automatic with OD and a 3.73 rear diff (in researching, I think the Mustangs of that vintage were only available with a 3 speed auto… but I’d really want the car to have overdrive). I do like some of Skitter’s ideas… the brakes and suspension definitely need updating (steel braided brake lines and updated calipers, yes… not sure I’d convert the rear brakes to disc, but I’d make sure they could handle the additional weight) and a 5 lug conversion. The exhaust I’d try to keep quiet and as stock-looking as possible (not stock sounding).

Other than that, I’d leave everything else absolutely the same. Hubcaps, radio, interior… everything the same.

MilosMilos
                          Participant

Did you consider putting a dual barrel carburetor?
                            Great way to teach us how to tune it up.

Pat CalhounPat Calhoun
                            Participant

8″ Lift
                              35″ Mud Terrains.
                              Bull bar with winch
                              Light bar
                              302 with a blower
                              Disc brake conversion
                              Roll bar
                              Red candy paint

and yes I’m talking about the Fairmount.

NickNick
                              Participant

[quote=”Skitter302″ post=91756]The ETCG Fairmont looks very nice stock so I would leave it looking stock.

~ 300HP Ford 302 (5.0L)
                                ~ Long tube Headers
                                ~ Electric radiator fan
                                ~ EFI
                                ~ AOD or E4OD Transmission
                                ~ 3.73 or 4.10 gear ratio
                                ~ 5 lug conversion
                                ~ Upgrade the front disk brakes, then convert the rear to disk brakes
                                ~ Braided steel brake lines
                                ~ Shocks and springs
                                ~ Tires
                                ~ Protect frame
                                ~ Stereo System
                                ~ Convert Brake lights to LED bulbs
                                ~ HID headlights (55w High/Low)
                                ~ Convert blinkers to LED bulbs[/quote]

I agree but hids arnt legal where i live so check into that. also if you dont want to repaint the car but want a different color you could plasti-dip it look into it

DougDoug
                                Participant

The sleeper theme is cool, and available mustang parts for suspension are a big help. However the 5.0 is no power plant even with mods. there is nothing like the look on a mustang owners face than when they get left at the line by a 3/4 ton 4X4. If $ wasn’t an issue then I would say go Diesel. Dollar for dollar you will get considerably more HP from mods to a diesel than a gas, not to mention longevity. Just my 2cts

JamieJamie
                                  Participant

Mount a set of twin side dump exhaust pipes with no mufflers, and install some wheelie bars. “hard parking” at its best 🙂

On a serious note I am curious to see what you do with it, growing up one of my neighbors had a Fairmont like that.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…