Why EricTheCarGuy didn't have a lift

More
5 years 11 months ago #69347 by Gardakan
Replied by Gardakan on topic Why EricTheCarGuy didn't have a lift
Jay Leno showed a kick ass product the other day :

Man those things are awesome !

The following user(s) said Thank You: musiccity365

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #71528 by balas3
Replied by balas3 on topic Why EricTheCarGuy didn't have a lift
Eric I appreciate your videos. I am a complete newbie to fixing cars, but from watching your videos on youtube I believe that I could do a couple things. I came across this topic area after searching for an answer on your forum on how to properly completely lift my car off the ground to work on it with no success. Your youtube video shows a '97 subaru. I have 2002 subaru which is probably not a whole lot different. Will you be making a video on how you lifted the Subaru?

-thank you
Jan

• daman2030
  • 2nd Gear
  • 2nd Gear
  • Always Trying To Learn Something
More
5 years 9 months ago #73103 by daman2030
Replied by daman2030 on topic Why EricTheCarGuy didn't have a lift
I myself can understand the reasons of not wanting to put a lift somewhere not "guaranteed" his,business man has to decide on what is in his/her best interest when doing these things so no reason to knock that! I personally do side work when I can out of a 18'X 21' building which is mine. I've thought of one of those small lifts myself but before that I gotta come up with the money for concrete and finish my electrical!

1998 Chevy Silverado K1500

• EricTheCarGuy
  • EricTheCarGuy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 9 months ago #74207 by EricTheCarGuy
Replied by EricTheCarGuy on topic Why EricTheCarGuy didn't have a lift

Superman wrote:

EricTheCarGuy wrote: Lastly, I estimate over 90% of my viewers don't have a lift. If I start doing my videos using a lift I can still show the work but it's not the same as if I was on the ground working in the same way they would. In part I put off getting a lift as a way to remain close to my audience and the problems they face working on the ground. I wouldn't have the same experiences working on a lift. In fact even if I did have a lift I would still do some work on the ground for that very reason.

This is exactly what I was thinking as I read your post.

On a related note, why not just build a shop behind your own house? Unless you live in the city and have no room for one.

The simple answer, I rent.

Stay dirty

More
5 years 8 months ago #76748 by F111
Replied by F111 on topic Why EricTheCarGuy didn't have a lift
now i see. a lift is not essential but if you are making a living of repairs it's money well spent

F111

More
5 years 8 months ago #77289 by Azuroth
Replied by Azuroth on topic Why EricTheCarGuy didn't have a lift
"Lastly, I estimate over 90% of my viewers don't have a lift. If I start doing my videos using a lift I can still show the work but it's not the same as if I was on the ground working in the same way they would. In part I put off getting a lift as a way to remain close to my audience and the problems they face working on the ground. I wouldn't have the same experiences working on a lift. In fact even if I did have a lift I would still do some work on the ground for that very reason."

best reason ever
The following user(s) said Thank You: AutoBravado.com

More
5 years 7 months ago #79914 by barneyb
Replied by barneyb on topic Why EricTheCarGuy didn't have a lift
I was contemplating a clutch job and so I consulted a forum dedicated to the vehicle I own and the replies there said it was so much easier if you had a lift. Well, no lift in my shop. Later, on You Tube I watched a video of this very job being done by a professional mechanic and viewed him struggling with the 150+ pound transmission balanced on a small jack platform above his head. I thought that this didn't compare very favorably with how I did it – I lowered the trans to the ground with a small chain fall hoist as I leaned over the fender in complete safety.

So, at least in my case, the lack of a lift didn't cause any inconvenience at all. I'd actually go so far as to say that I had the superior situation to the video mechanic. Well, him having the use of a lift no doubt allowed him to work faster which is important when trying to make a profit but I'd rather sit or lean over a fender at jack stand height than work with heavy things above my head.

They say dream big. Well, my dream is seeing a C-5A acrobatic team doing the star burst with smoke.

More
5 years 5 months ago #86351 by KLOWNY1969
Replied by KLOWNY1969 on topic Why EricTheCarGuy didn't have a lift
Eric is right..having to work on the ground is a totally different experience..actually believe it or not..many mechanics areso used to doing things on a lift that many dont think its possible to do certain things on the ground..which they are mistaken :)

More
5 years 5 months ago #87691 by bowtie
Replied by bowtie on topic Why EricTheCarGuy didn't have a lift
eric when i said that didn't mean to offend work without for 30 years and only recently got one if you were close you could use mine for free like your stuff !staying dirty ! lol! by!

More
5 years 5 months ago #87692 by bowtie
Replied by bowtie on topic Why EricTheCarGuy didn't have a lift
we gear heads gotta stick together your friend if you need one bowtiewrench04 @yahoo.com

Time to create page: 0.255 seconds