Menu

ToolBoxs

• Creator
    Topic
    ChurchChurch
    Participant

Needing a cheap but good starter toolbox for automotive class and future..Any ideas?

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      kiall1987kiall1987
      Participant

A mobile type cantilever box or sumthing along a chest with drawers , a cantilever box u can get a decent one cheap enough . For a chest you could pick up a second hand snap on top off ebay and it should last you a long will

dreamer2355dreamer2355
        Participant

I got my 3 tier Craftsman tool chest from Sears during those Black Friday sales and it was half price.

I would buy a used one also if the price is right such as ebay as i need another. Your tool collection will soon add up!

RangestangRangestang
          Participant

I would say for a starter box get as big of a bottom box as possible that your budget will allow. Any brand will do as long as it is of good quality as is roller ballbaring. The reason I say get a bottom box is that you can also use the top as kind of a work bench.

619DioFan619DioFan
            Participant

If you are looking for something in the 40″ range check out the us general 40″ box at harbor freight. sells for around 350.00. as your collection grows you can add the matching top box. if you want a big name box check craigs list. here in SanDiego I see guys selling snapon,matco,mac and cornwell boxes everyday for a quarter of new price. actually saw an ad for a snapon box-top and bottom full of pro quality tools valued at 65,000 asking price was 25,000.. crazy!!!

KLFERKLFER
              Participant

Quoted From Rangestang:

I would say for a starter box get as big of a bottom box as possible that your budget will allow. Any brand will do as long as it is of good quality as is roller ballbaring. The reason I say get a bottom box is that you can also use the top as kind of a work bench.

+1 Craftsman has a sweet as box part #59622 not sure if its still available but it has 1 drawer that is 40in wide 4in deep. this was my first box and is now at home i have had for about 8 years and it has been great and still works awesome.

Diesel1DeeDiesel1Dee
                Participant

yah. i have a mastercraft box at work. its 52 long with a flat top you can work off. i like being able to have something to work off of. but i work in a truck shop so we have to wheel around our boxes from job to job. if your in an auto shop i know alot of them don’t have you moving your boxes around so something that you can stack may be better. i would say name brand definatly doesn’t mean better. yah it will probably open and close easier but is that worth 4k? no. some cheaper will still get the job done. cheers.
                  ps. id look for someting with some larger deep bottom drawers as well. its always nice to have some storage space at the bottom of the box

TexasCoderTexasCoder
                  Participant

Quoted From Church:

Needing a cheap but good starter toolbox for automotive class and future..Any ideas?

Check out my video on the US General (Harbor Freight) 40″ I bought a couple of months ago. I like it, and I think with my 20% off coupon and the 279.99 sale it had, I paid around 240 and some change. The casters on it are tough enough for shop use. The only thing that irks me is the drawer depth, they are pretty shallow (1.5″ if I remember correctly, the video shows it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eZvy0Hm-TI&feature=youtu.be

Hope this helps!

MattMatt
                    Participant

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp … ir=catalog

This is the Snap-on roll cab I got thru a school program, which means 60% off. I paid 2k bucks for it, and it came with a $400 Snap-on gift certificate. So I guess I paid 1600 for it. Anyway, it’s AWESOME. It’s replacing my 12 year old Mac Economizer top and bottom boxes that will stay at home when I move the big hoss into a shop. If you are in school, and have a kick-butt tool rep like I do, mebbe you can get approved for credit like I did. Anyway, I’m beyond happy with it. It’s already over half full with all the other stuff I bought over the last two years while in school from Mac and Snap-on, including alot of specialty tools, and I have plenty more to put in it. That kind of worries me, so the top of my Mac chest may be sitting on the roll-cab until I have the funds to buy a proper top box for it (only $2100!), so that’ll be awhile. I also have the 5 drawer cart from HF to go with it, and I LOVE it. I got it for 99 bucks with a super coupon. Once I get all my stuff organized, I’ll make a video.

RedeemerRedeemer
                      Participant

I bought a cheap one from walmart when I didnt have many tools. As I’ve done more projects, I’ve gained more tools, and I need to buy a bigger box myself.

ratdude747ratdude747
                        Participant

if you want portable, I found that the store brand at Tractor Supply to be both cheap and well made.

I just bought a 4 drawer tool chest there.

For $50 (normal price, not on sale) I got:

• All metal construction
                          • ball bearing slides
                          • the bottom drawer is deeper than the rest

I suspect it may be rebadged craftsman as the build style and hardware looks identical

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/tool-storage/tool-boxes-cabinets/masterhand-reg-20-1-2-in-4-drawer-steel-tool-box-4038348#BVRRWidgetID

they also have have a 3 drawer version for $40, same box minus the top drawer.

I use mine for my electronics/computer supply tools… but even for one’s car tools it should do well.

ark_454SSark_454SS
                          Participant

I got a stainless steel Kobalt box with hydraulic deals on the top lid so it raises, lots of room on top. Got 3 drawers, and the bottom one is bigger for your bigger items. $140 bucks, comes with a cover also. Pretty good for the price and the lower (this is the top) is about $250.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Loading…