Scotty Kilmer, mechanic or shill?

More
7 years 5 months ago #20177 by TheArete
Replied by TheArete on topic Scotty Kilmer, mechanic or shill?
Scotty does know his stuff, and some of his vid's are helpful... But as was mentioned... He's got a very different take on what an automotive video should be. Eric the Car guy, MOTORZ, briansmobile, Scotty all have different and unique ways of going about it. I'm biased... I saw Eric's videos first and I like to research, read and get down and dirty by being thorough. Scottys the anathema to that.

We do have to keep in mind, that the guy is trying to help even if we don't dig his methods or think he is a shill, we have to respect the attempt.
Although i BUSTED put laughing when he poured that can in... Yep cause that'll solve the problem by throwing quickfix remedies at it.

Though if we're going to talk exploitive advertising lets talk MOTORZ. Love these vids and guys but my God... Selling E3 plugs much, and Sears tools? One guy asked where to get a cheap set of tools and he actually said "head to your local sears dealer"... Somehow I don't think the person was talking about buying new Sears tools.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sfink

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #20178 by dreamer2355
Replied by dreamer2355 on topic Scotty Kilmer, mechanic or shill?

Quoted From TheArete:

Scotty does know his stuff, and some of his vid's are helpful... But as was mentioned... He's got a very different take on what an automotive video should be. Eric the Car guy, MOTORZ, briansmobile, Scotty all have different and unique ways of going about it. I'm biased... I saw Eric's videos first and I like to research, read and get down and dirty by being thorough. Scottys the anathema to that.

We do have to keep in mind, that the guy is trying to help even if we don't dig his methods or think he is a shill, we have to respect the attempt.
Although i BUSTED put laughing when he poured that can in... Yep cause that'll solve the problem by throwing quickfix remedies at it.

Though if we're going to talk exploitive advertising lets talk MOTORZ. Love these vids and guys but my God... Selling E3 plugs much, and Sears tools? One guy asked where to get a cheap set of tools and he actually said "head to your local sears dealer"... Somehow I don't think the person was talking about buying new Sears tools.

You should also check out ScannerDanner's channel. He is one of my favorites.

Original and First ETCG Moderator :)

More
7 years 5 months ago #20179 by TheArete
Replied by TheArete on topic Scotty Kilmer, mechanic or shill?
Holy Craps Dreamer... This channel is fantastic! I have exactly almost sorta zero electrical know-how and so this will be a great source of info and entertainment. Much appreciated, you sir are both a Gentleman and a Scholar.

More
7 years 5 months ago #20182 by 03AP1
Replied by 03AP1 on topic Scotty Kilmer, mechanic or shill?
Is it me or does Scotty ALWAYS go under the cars with just a jack. I am surprised I am the only one who noticed. Hes very informative, but not very thorough. He also does some "half ass" fixes in a video or two. Either way I am subbed to him and enjoy watching his videos either way. His intros do get annoying at times.

More
7 years 5 months ago #20181 by dreamer2355
Replied by dreamer2355 on topic Scotty Kilmer, mechanic or shill?

Quoted From TheArete:

Holy Craps Dreamer... This channel is fantastic! I have exactly almost sorta zero electrical know-how and so this will be a great source of info and entertainment. Much appreciated, you sir are both a Gentleman and a Scholar.

Yep, his channel is in my eyes for more advanced repairs when it comes to electrical diagnosis.
He is a very smart guy and is very detailed on his trouble shooting steps.

The only aspect i would not recommend doing (just yet) is testing for PCM driver output without a scan tool as if you do that wrong, well, what a mess you will have C8-)

Original and First ETCG Moderator :)

More
7 years 5 months ago #20180 by ytram
Replied by ytram on topic Scotty Kilmer, mechanic or shill?
I just love Scotty's $hit eating grin!

More
7 years 5 months ago #20183 by PirateVR6
Replied by PirateVR6 on topic Scotty Kilmer, mechanic or shill?
lol i noticed the jack thing as well.... i think he's kinda odd he reminds me of timon from the lion king. some of his videos are helpful tough it doesn't really matter i guess.... TEAM ERIC!

• anonymous
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 5 months ago #20184 by anonymous
Replied by anonymous on topic Scotty Kilmer, mechanic or shill?
scottys videos can be a little vague, but i like them. his videos are better for people that have some IDEA of what they are doing, but they just need a shove in the right direction. the quality of his videos are great but short. But he sure does have a whole lot of little tricks up his sleeve that may help you. Erics videos are better but you cant really compare them. they are two DIFFERENT TYPES of channels. Eric and scotty are my favorites. they are just different

More
7 years 5 months ago #20185 by skim3544
Replied by skim3544 on topic Scotty Kilmer, mechanic or shill?
Scotty does not go into any detail - you can get useful tips here & there but nothing that would help you do the complete job. Also some are questionable - his clutch job video makes it looks like super easy but in reality it is not. He makes things look way too easy and the videos are way too short.

More
7 years 5 months ago #20187 by Bad_dude
Replied by Bad_dude on topic Scotty Kilmer, mechanic or shill?
I like videos from both but I find myself watching Scotty's videos many times more before I can start any job. He's always in a rush and speak so fast. But very exciting though. Eric's videos are more laid back and relax so I usually get it the first time.

Thanks.

Time to create page: 0.245 seconds