Scotty Kilmer, mechanic or shill?

More
7 years 6 months ago #20168 by jeremyfountain
Replied by jeremyfountain on topic Scotty Kilmer, mechanic or shill?

Quoted From EricTheCarGuy:

I wouldn't get too down on Scotty as it takes a lot of work to produce videos like his especially if you are actually trying to repair something in addition to making the video, I think it would be safe to say that if you shoot video and do a repair it will take at least 3x as long. That said given the amount of time to produce that kind of content you need to make a living somehow and sponsorship really is the best way because the viewer doesnt' have to pay for the video, the sponsor does. In fact as time goes on I hope to do more sponsored work but hopefully not at the expense of the content. I'll do my best to stay 'honest' but we have to make a living somehow and for me I want to keep making my videos and sponsorship is one good way to accomplish this.

Amen. As a newcomer to producing repair vids and also working full time is hard but I enjoy the heck out of it. If i had just half of your camera and people/talking skills I'd have it made. Thanks for all your help. Stay dirt and wrench on

Jeremy fountain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #20167 by jbone
Replied by jbone on topic Scotty Kilmer, mechanic or shill?
Scotty always says he will get back to us after he gets back from the asylum, a bar in town. I think he is too quick on his turials, wham bam thank u mam..Longest video i seen is prob 3min long. ETCG takes his time to show us his skills and how-to videos...I also like briansmobiles,he also takes the time to teach us and not just throw it out there

More
7 years 6 months ago #20169 by jhn9840
Replied by jhn9840 on topic Scotty Kilmer, mechanic or shill?
I think Eric is at the top of the automotive repair videos. In depth videos that are easy to understand and presented in a entertaining way. I like Real Fixes Real Fast you can tell Duwayne knows how to diagnose problems. Scotty Kilmer while I think he knows what he is doing glosses over the subject with out pointing to the details. I have never seen briansmobiles but I will be looking him up. I have become hooked on these repair and welding videos lately. Rather look at these then the dumb stuff on tv anymore, besides football.

jhn9840
John
The following user(s) said Thank You: sfink

More
7 years 6 months ago #20170 by spelunkerd
Replied by spelunkerd on topic Scotty Kilmer, mechanic or shill?
I appreciate and respect those guys willing to go through the effort of putting themselves out there, and I've learned a lot from all of them.

The only gripe I have is the ethical boundary when the author is plugging a product without disclosing his financial relationship with the company. You see product placement ads on TV all the time, and you can bet that youtube is next. The main reason I hate TV automotive programs is that they seem like one long infomercial.

A disclaimer as simple as a 'brought to you by' tag is all that is needed, from my perspective. With no disclosure of the financial relationship behind the scene, it raises questions about whether the review is accurate or motivated by unseen forces. Ultimately, with no disclosure, it is up to the audience to recognize an unbalanced review. The unique atmosphere of Youtube viewer feedback is also helpful for recognizing those controversial points. I often learn more from the comments/discussion than from the actual presentation.

Everybody has to make a living, and advertising pays for what would otherwise be very expensive presentation. As long as the reputation of the presenter remains intact, the audience will understand. A good way to maintain that reputation is to openly disclose external financial gain.

I've posted a few dozen automotive videos on Youtube, under the channel "Spelunkerd".

Advanced amateur, intrigued by the science and engineering of automobile design and repair.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sfink

More
7 years 6 months ago #20171 by mckrishes
Replied by mckrishes on topic Scotty Kilmer, mechanic or shill?
I am thankful for a site like this to provide informative information at no cost.

More
7 years 5 months ago #20173 by ClicknClack
Replied by ClicknClack on topic Scotty Kilmer, mechanic or shill?
lmao yeah he recently changed it to a Mustang, I liked the bike better.

I'm still subscribed to Scotty and probably always will be. He answers just about every question he's asked, so you can't hate him for that. His videos are a little short and obviously his philosophy about the length of videos is a little odd.....The longer the video the better IMO. When I see a new ETCG video that's 30 minutes long I get excited as hell

More
7 years 5 months ago #20172 by hondaslave1342
Replied by hondaslave1342 on topic Scotty Kilmer, mechanic or shill?
each his own...its all hard work, and time consuming...i have pm scotty and stated the fact his video's are short and he responded that nobody will watch full length vids...his tire screeching intro really gets my nerves frazzled,,,W-|

More
7 years 5 months ago #20174 by Tasogare
Replied by Tasogare on topic Scotty Kilmer, mechanic or shill?
I'm subscribed to Scotty Kilmer - and I have to say his videos are quite informative.

What I find that people forget is that - while both Eric and Scotty's videos are informative - they're not catch-alls. With tens of makes over scores of models over decades of years and untold number of conditions, there's no way a visualized repair would exactly fit everybody. Those that usually complain are those that take thier knowledge as gospel, or those that already had a shaky hand on the situation taking thier advice and running with it.

With thier advice comes a measure of your own expertise and understanding - as well as a fair bit of research on your part. In one specific case, one of Scotty's videos had him changing a crank angle sensor that was on top of the engine. Easy I bet - but in my Mitsubishi, its behind the timing cover and crank pulley. You have to take both of those off, and it makes the job 10 times more difficult. Sure, I can gripe and say 'you made it look easy', but that's not my car. In the end, common sense rules the day.

• Shaun_300
  • 4th Gear
  • 4th Gear
  • Ex GM Technician
More
7 years 5 months ago #20175 by Shaun_300
Replied by Shaun_300 on topic Scotty Kilmer, mechanic or shill?
I came across one of Scotty's videos last night and watched a few on his channel. Some were pretty good but like others have said they can be pretty vauge, like the clutch video and engine swap video. Basically unbolt everything and pull it out kind of thing without showing much detail on anything. Had to chuckle when I watched the Ford truck intake gasket replacement. He said it's very important to torque them to specs and in sequence, 25lb in first and 89lb in the second pass, then he pulls the 1/2" torque wrench with a reducer onto the 8mm socket or whatever size the puny intake bolts are. Needless to say it just showed him putting the torque wrench on 1 bolt then the frame ended in the video.

2000 Silverado RCSB - modded LS6 - 5 speed

More
7 years 2 months ago #20176 by Beefy
Replied by Beefy on topic Scotty Kilmer, mechanic or shill?
I've found that I've been blocked by Scotty for posting comments like along the lines of, 'Shouldn't you point out that you can be killed by half-@ssing that job?'. That dude is a JOKE.

Signs point to 'maybe'

Time to create page: 0.268 seconds