Menu

How Does a Starter Solenoid Work?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum How Does a Starter Solenoid Work?

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

This week I thought I would go back to the type of video people seem to really like. I’ve always wanted to do a series on how automotive electricity works. It’s a daunting task, but I hope this video will do for now.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MattMatt
      Participant

The drive gear as you called it, I grew up calling it a throw-out gear but so many names for it, how does the Ford starter engages it? I knew the solenoid did it on most starters, but I’m curious how the Ford starter does it without the solenoid. Thanks for the video, it may help me with something at work. I drive zambonis, and one machine has an electromagnet valve for the water, similar to the solenoid, but is suppose to hold open. It keeps shutting off during operation, but works as long as I’m turning it on and off regularly. The tech just keeps cleaning the plunger part, but I’m thinking it’s developed a short inside the bindings and needs replacing.

Roland PedeferriRoland Pedeferri
        Participant

Nice! I like these short, informative videos.
          I might be due to replace mine.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

Centrifugal force causes the bendix to come out on the older Ford starters.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…