Menu

How To Wash Your Engine

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum How To Wash Your Engine

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

I’ve been asked about doing a video on this topic for years. Since my Integra desperately needed an engine cleaning I thought I would give it a shot. My results were great, but proceed with caution. I’ve seen a lot of people cause issues by doing this. In fact, it’s not something I recommend for that very reason.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      James P GrossoJames P Grosso
      Participant

I use the Sams Club “Members Mark” Purple Heavy Duty degreaser
        https://www.samsclub.com/sams/mm-hd-degreaser-1-gallon/prod9260460.ip?pid=_CSE_Google_PLA_84715&source=ifpla&CAWELAID=730010300000318256&adid=22222222627000004798&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=79869639635&wl4=pla-44002167248&wl5=9028715&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=1247713&wl11=online&wl12=84715&wl13=&wl15=22972094435&wl17=1o3&veh=sem

sprayed on with a pump spray bottle. It is much like Castrol Super Clean, but less expensive. This is not recommended for use on aluminum, but I do as long as the aluminum is not polished. It will dull polished aluminum, but for most engine parts, that are as cast, it works great to get all the grease and dirt off. It also works good getting corrosion off battery terminals (just don’t get it in the battery.)
        I usually only wash the engine compartment if I have to do major work in there just to make seeing things easier and make it a bit cleaner to work on.
        Normally, I try to plan ahead and wash the engine before changing the oil. That way if water gets in, it will be drained with the old oil.

CecilCecil
        Participant

A tip you can use to lower possibility of any issues is to cover electrical and sensitive areas with plastic bags, and just a normal pressure garden hose.

Larry Kosilla is a fellow youtuber and well known as one of the best detailers around, and responds to emails and answers calls, if you ever wanted any tips in detail related areas. Great resource to have who really likes to help people out, and he makes his own products as well.

James P GrossoJames P Grosso
          Participant

I use a garden hose too. Pressure washer really has too much force and will splatter grease and oil everywhere from a badly caked on engine. Also, the high pressure is more likely to get water into the (sealed) electrical connectors. As mentioned, plastic bags and tin foil can be used to keep water out of and away from areas you don’t want soaked in water.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…