Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • #FairmontProject Final Fitting (Part 2)

#FairmontProject Final Fitting (Part 2)

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum #FairmontProject Final Fitting (Part 2)

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

A lot of you pointed out that my cold side routing didn’t make sense. It wasn’t really my choice, it was part of the turbo kit that I got for a fuel injected Mustang. Since so many of you pointed out this might not be best for my application, I’ve been working on a different set up that I’ll cover in a future video. For now, this shows some of the struggle I went through to get to this point. There’s still so much more to do. Once piece at a time as the song goes.

Thanks for watching.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Ian WilliamsIan Williams
      Participant

The set up does look a bit complex , but it’s great to see the progress , on a side note , I’m sure you are aware that the car might feel like complete pig when you first drive it , just until things bed in so to speak then it’l be a sleeper like you planned

Keymaster

[quote=”Commodore665″ post=184805]The set up does look a bit complex , but it’s great to see the progress , on a side note , I’m sure you are aware that the car might feel like complete pig when you first drive it , just until things bed in so to speak then it’l be a sleeper like you planned[/quote]

Like I said at the beginning of the video, it was set up that way because it was part of a kit for fuel injection. If you check my social media, you can see that I’m already working on changing it.

As for the car feeling like a dog when I first start out. Not likely. The engine already made 575hp on the dyno. Even if it makes 300hp, I doubt it will feel sluggish.

andrew luckandrew luck
          Participant

Eric, I know this is being pedantic but when your refer to ‘patients’ in this video I think you mean patience. That is unless you and Brian were bleeding after you finished the shoot!

Sorry!

MikeMike
            Participant

[quote=”EricTheCarGuy” post=184792]There’s still so much more to do. Once piece at a time as the song goes.[/quote]

https://youtu.be/39Ee_Hkxc-8

Eric, is that an air-to-air intercooler? If so, it might be an easier matter just to rotate it 180 degrees, side-to-side, so the cold air outlet to the carb is on the driver’s side of the engine compartment. It’ll move the plumbing away from the hot turbo.

As for the hood clearance issue, converting to a dry sump oiling system will make the engine package less tall, which would allow you to mount the entire engine lower. It’ll require fabbing new engine mounts, though, as well as needing to mount and plumb an external pressure and scavenge oil pump and a remote oil reservoir. On the plus side, the remote reservoir and associated plumbing will also act as radiators, and will make a small contribution to cooling the oil, which is a good thing on a turbo engine.

Keymaster

[quote=”Evil-i” post=185202][quote=”EricTheCarGuy” post=184792]There’s still so much more to do. Once piece at a time as the song goes.[/quote]

https://youtu.be/39Ee_Hkxc-8

Eric, is that an air-to-air intercooler? If so, it might be an easier matter just to rotate it 180 degrees, side-to-side, so the cold air outlet to the carb is on the driver’s side of the engine compartment. It’ll move the plumbing away from the hot turbo.

As for the hood clearance issue, converting to a dry sump oiling system will make the engine package less tall, which would allow you to mount the entire engine lower. It’ll require fabbing new engine mounts, though, as well as needing to mount and plumb an external pressure and scavenge oil pump and a remote oil reservoir. On the plus side, the remote reservoir and associated plumbing will also act as radiators, and will make a small contribution to cooling the oil, which is a good thing on a turbo engine.[/quote]

Like I said at the beginning of the video, I plan to change the cold side routing of the turbo. In fact, I’ve already done it. As for hood clearance, I was able to solve that with spacers under the K member. That will be seen in a future video.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…