Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Fitting the Intercooler & Turbo Cold Side

Fitting the Intercooler & Turbo Cold Side

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum Fitting the Intercooler & Turbo Cold Side

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

One thing the #FairmontProject has taught me is that I love fabrication. In addition to making my own parking brake cables, I had to make the mounting brackets for the intercooler. This is the kind of work I really love doing.

What are your thoughts?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Dave TidmanDave Tidman
      Participant

This week on Eric the blacksmith… 🙂

Great job on the brackets. It is a lot of fun to figure out stuff and make it happen.

Nate JonesNate Jones
        Participant

Loving the build so far, and I can’t wait to see the finished product! It’ll be awesome.

I’m curious why the turbo kit runs a huge loop of piping around the front end; would it not make more sense for it to run from the turbo on the passenger side, down to the intercooler more directly, and then up to the driver’s side of the engine bay? Less piping is better for turbo lag time, which would help in daily driving, though the boost threshold probably wouldn’t change at all.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

[quote=”computiNATEor” post=183676]Loving the build so far, and I can’t wait to see the finished product! It’ll be awesome.

I’m curious why the turbo kit runs a huge loop of piping around the front end; would it not make more sense for it to run from the turbo on the passenger side, down to the intercooler more directly, and then up to the driver’s side of the engine bay? Less piping is better for turbo lag time, which would help in daily driving, though the boost threshold probably wouldn’t change at all.[/quote]

That’s an excellent question. The answer is because this turbo was part of a kit that would normally feed a fuel injected engine. The inlet for an FI small block Ford would be on the passenger side like this one is set up. This kit was also linked in the description of the video.

At this point I would have to purchase all new tubing to make what you suggest happen. I’ll consider it, but I still have a lot of other work on the car to complete. Not to mention more money to spend. I’m not really of a mind to toss a bunch of tubing just to make a shorter rout for something that already works fine. According to the dyno, there really isn’t any lag to speak of. In fact, it has an excellent torque curve as you can see in this video.

Thanks for your comment.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…