Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Installing Front Coil Springs & Struts Fairmont

Installing Front Coil Springs & Struts Fairmont

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum Installing Front Coil Springs & Struts Fairmont

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

This is a difficult chore with the engine in the car. It’s even more challenging with it outside the car.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Caleb StovallCaleb Stovall
      Participant

Why didn’t you just use coil spring compressors to help fit it?
        Seems like that would’ve been a lot easier.
        Answered at the end of the video.

JamesJames
        Participant

That definitely looked like it sucked. I felt it every time the tools were not thrown but let down so they were not. Been there before. Be interesting to know when you get it going how those springs with the liners work out. Obviously 570 horse will make them work.

Bryce JohnsonBryce Johnson
          Participant

Nice video and looks like an evening or afternoon of frustration. All that only to eventually talk to Maximum Motorsports. 🙁 SUCKS!

ConCon
            Participant

Hi Eric love the show l use a spring compressor and then use 10 really strong cable ties to hold The spring compressed down install spring cut cable ties and it’s all done I hope that helps

KyleKyle
              Participant

A few years back I watched a tech fight with a coil spring when replacing the lower control arm on a Lincoln. He didn’t want to listen to me when I told him to hook the strut or ball joint up with a few threads and then jack the back of the control arm into place. He fought for 4 hours on one side, when he went to lunch the boss put another tech on it and I told him how I would do it and 30 minutes later the jobs done.

Keymaster

[quote=”CrazedAssassin” post=180617]Why didn’t you just use coil spring compressors to help fit it?
                  Seems like that would’ve been a lot easier.
                  Answered at the end of the video.[/quote]

Also, please read the video description.

Keymaster

[quote=”Tom008″ post=180663]Hi Eric love the show l use a spring compressor and then use 10 really strong cable ties to hold The spring compressed down install spring cut cable ties and it’s all done I hope that helps[/quote]

Cable ties, or some suggested a tow strap. I think either of those would have worked better. Thanks for the suggestion.

Keymaster

[quote=”854×4″ post=180664]A few years back I watched a tech fight with a coil spring when replacing the lower control arm on a Lincoln. He didn’t want to listen to me when I told him to hook the strut or ball joint up with a few threads and then jack the back of the control arm into place. He fought for 4 hours on one side, when he went to lunch the boss put another tech on it and I told him how I would do it and 30 minutes later the jobs done.[/quote]

I think that would have worked so much better. Thanks for the suggestion!

Joey MoritzJoey Moritz
                      Participant
                        Keymaster

[quote=”Etjoe” post=180742]http://www.maximummotorsports.com/Spring-Installation-Tool-Front-Control-Arm-1979-2004-Mustang-P1232.aspx

Neat little tool tool check out the video[/quote]

Yea, several people have suggested that tool. Looks like it works great. I’ll have to try that next time.

Dave ReuterMechmann
                          Participant

Hi Eric,

I ran across this video after seeing the difficulty you had with the Fairmont springs.

It looks like there is an inexpensive tool that fits on the lower A-arm to keep the spring in place.

Hope this helps.

Keep up the great work. I’m looking forward to when your Fixing It Forward videos start again.

Dave R
                            Dayton, OH

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Loading…