Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Engine Assembly Crankshaft & Pistons

Engine Assembly Crankshaft & Pistons

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum Engine Assembly Crankshaft & Pistons

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

I really like this video because it shows exactly how to assembly the bottom end of an engine. What I don’t like is this is pretty much the last of the engine series with Kevin and Justin of Kalvinator engines. We only scheduled 2 days at the machine shop and it wasn’t enough to recored the full assembly of the engine. Still, I think what we got was excellent.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Steve JohnsonSteve Johnson
      Participant

I’m glad That I’m not the only one that has problems with ring compressors. Cant wait to see what you use to prime the pump. The newer cars can’t use the zinc because it ruins the Cats.Happy Thanksgiving!

Keymaster

[quote=”Skillz” post=180037]I’m glad That I’m not the only one that has problems with ring compressors. Cant wait to see what you use to prime the pump. The newer cars can’t use the zinc because it ruins the Cats.Happy Thanksgiving![/quote]

Unfortunately we didn’t get that on camera. We only allotted for 2 days of shooting at the machine shop. There’s only one more video after this one at the machine shop as a result.

Before I fire the engine up in the car, I had planned on doing a video about it though. That’s a little ways off though. I still have other things to do to the car first.

James P GrossoJames P Grosso
          Participant

Nice video, good picture and audio quality too.
            When installing the crank, it looks like the thrust bearing (end play) was not set as many do, by pushing the crank back, then forward again, holding forward thrust pressure while tightening the main cap that holds the thrust bearing?

zerozero
            Participant

Not related, but kind of related…

You should try and get the Frische’s in for an episode of “answers questions live” and compile a good list of questions for them.

MikeMike
              Participant

Excellent video.

A big take-away here is to not rush things or skip little steps/doublechecks, no matter how repetitive and time-consuming the procedure gets. Engine prep and assembly are not for the impatient.

If you don’t have the time to do it right the first time, where are you going to find the time to do it over?

EDIT: On the topic of underwear color, you can avoid the subject altogether by not wearing any. I knew an eccentric guy who used to work on his car naked. He’d put on a BBQ apron when using a grinder, though. Something about grinder sparks and pubic hair not being a good mix.

Keymaster

[quote=”451Mopar” post=180081]Nice video, good picture and audio quality too.
                  When installing the crank, it looks like the thrust bearing (end play) was not set as many do, by pushing the crank back, then forward again, holding forward thrust pressure while tightening the main cap that holds the thrust bearing?[/quote]

Test fitting of all parts was done prior to final assembly.

Keymaster

[quote=”DaFirnz” post=180084]Not related, but kind of related…

You should try and get the Frische’s in for an episode of “answers questions live” and compile a good list of questions for them.[/quote]

I like that idea.

Tom RechTom Rech
                    Participant

Great video on crank main bearing blueprinting. I did not know an engine builder could mix and match different sized bearing shells to achieve the desired clearance. My understanding was that a bearing “set” must remain unmolested, in other words, if your clearances are too tight, then you go up to the next size “set” or grind/polish down the crank mains to get the clearance to spec. However, I’ve never built an engine along the lines of #DarkMatterPikachu so there’s that.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…