Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Valve Spring Install Height & Seat Diameter

Valve Spring Install Height & Seat Diameter

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum Valve Spring Install Height & Seat Diameter

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

I needed to get this info before I ordered my valve train parts. I figured it would be a good opportunity to cover this information for those that needed it.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MikeMike
      Participant

Good info, good technique.

Am I over-thinking things, or, (when it comes to rebuilding/modifying), is it important to measure installed spring height after a full-on valve seating job has been done? Seems to me that grinding the valve head and valve seat conical mating surfaces would cause the valve to recess into the seat somewhat, which would cause the valve collar to sit higher above the spring seat.

Keymaster

[quote=”Evil-i” post=175556]Good info, good technique.

Am I over-thinking things, or, (when it comes to rebuilding/modifying), is it important to measure installed spring height after a full-on valve seating job has been done? Seems to me that grinding the valve head and valve seat conical mating surfaces would cause the valve to recess into the seat somewhat, which would cause the valve collar to sit higher above the spring seat.[/quote]

Yes, the measurement will change after a valve, but that’s not why I took the measurement in this case. I took it so that I could order the correct springs for the valve train. The measurement didn’t have to be dead on, it just had to be accurate enough to order the correct sized springs.

James P GrossoJames P Grosso
          Participant

You might expand on the video, by using a dual or triple valve spring to explain why you need the outer and inner dimensions, plus show valve seat cups, locators and shims and why they are used.

As for the valve job, yes it will sink the valve into the head slightly. Usually a shim is used between the valve spring seat, and the valve spring to bring the spring install height (and pressure) back into spec. The valve train (rocker adjustment and/or hydraulic lifter) can usually compensate for the small change in the valve tip height.

Keymaster

[quote=”451Mopar” post=175769]You might expand on the video, by using a dual or triple valve spring to explain why you need the outer and inner dimensions, plus show valve seat cups, locators and shims and why they are used.

As for the valve job, yes it will sink the valve into the head slightly. Usually a shim is used between the valve spring seat, and the valve spring to bring the spring install height (and pressure) back into spec. The valve train (rocker adjustment and/or hydraulic lifter) can usually compensate for the small change in the valve tip height.[/quote]

We get more in depth with this during the engine series. This was just what I did before ordering the valve springs.

James P GrossoJames P Grosso
              Participant

When is the engine series coming out?
                I love the videos, and like that you don’t edit out problems that need to be resolved.
                Keep up the great work.

Keymaster

[quote=”451Mopar” post=175787]When is the engine series coming out?
                  I love the videos, and like that you don’t edit out problems that need to be resolved.
                  Keep up the great work.[/quote]

Not sure exactly, I’m working on those edits now. Likely in the next couple of months.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…