Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Removing Engine & Transmission #FairmontProject

Removing Engine & Transmission #FairmontProject

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum Removing Engine & Transmission #FairmontProject

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

It had to come out at some point. Now that the fun with the differential is over, it’s time to get serious.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      James P GrossoJames P Grosso
      Participant

Do you have any concerns about the lift hook sliding on the seat belt?
        Looks like if the tailshaft caught on anything, it could slide right to the front of the seat belt mounting point?

Caleb StovallCaleb Stovall
        Participant

Lol Eric made that look easy.
          I’ve used belts in a couple of engine removals and never really had a problem with sliding.
          Just make sure you know how to tie load holding knots.

Keymaster

[quote=”451Mopar” post=173337]Do you have any concerns about the lift hook sliding on the seat belt?
            Looks like if the tailshaft caught on anything, it could slide right to the front of the seat belt mounting point?[/quote]

No, the weight holds it in place. I’ve been using seatbelts like this for years without any issues.

James P GrossoJames P Grosso
            Participant

I figured the weight/friction and strap length/angle are what is keeping it from sliding around. I just looks odd to me, but I have been messing with old muscle cars and trucks where the engine/trans can be over 1,000 pounds with alot of reward weight from the big heavy transmissions.

MikeMike
              Participant

Glad to see the factory lifting brackets being used. I cringe when I see some of the cobbled-together setups people use, with ungraded bolts, fender washers, thin stretchy blue nylon rope and other assorted bits that have been picked out of the crap berms in garage corners. Lifting 1/4 to 1/2 a ton of heavy sharp-edged metal is not to be taken lightly.

Nicholas ClarkNicholas Clark
                Participant

Hopefully you gave that old engine and trans to someone who will love it! After all those years of faithful service, it should be respected and put into something that can use it, even though that market would be limited.

MikeMike
                  Participant

[quote=”Hockeyclark” post=173517]Hopefully you gave that old engine and trans to someone who will love it! After all those years of faithful service, it should be respected and put into something that can use it, even though that market would be limited.[/quote]

Few engines seem to be as durable and smooth as a well-maintained inline 6. Perhaps Eric can bolt a supercharger or an insane multi-carb system to it and drop it into his old Mustang project car.

Having done a bit of Wiki reading, I’m surprised to be reminded that the Fairmont was only in production from ’78 to ’83. As I remember it, they were everywhere, and you couldn’t walk half a block without banging your shins against one.

Keymaster

[quote=”Hockeyclark” post=173517]Hopefully you gave that old engine and trans to someone who will love it! After all those years of faithful service, it should be respected and put into something that can use it, even though that market would be limited.[/quote]

That would have been nice but it was taking up space I needed for the ‘Meet UP’ so I sent it to the scrap yard.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…