Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Rear Brakes the Hard Way #FairmontProject

Rear Brakes the Hard Way #FairmontProject

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum Rear Brakes the Hard Way #FairmontProject

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

I suppose we all get a case of the ‘stupid’ from time to time. I’m no different. I figured it out in the end and ended up with a better braking system when I was done. I suppose alls well that ends well.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Dave TidmanDave Tidman
      Participant

We all make basic mistakes from time to time. I know I make them at my job every so often and it is embarrassing, but I learn from them.

Good job leaving all that in the video, I’m betting you will save at least one persons bacon by having them avoid the same mistake and then trying to drive without realizing what they did. I think all of you on the youtube Mt. Rushmore of auto techs (ETCG, Scannerdanner, Eric O from SMA and Humble Mechanic) do a great job of leaving the mistakes in and it helps all of us out here.

Danciu SergiuDanciu Sergiu
        Participant

Nice job Eric!
          I’m Sergiu from Romania (Easten Europe)
          I was curios if I’ll find the mistake but I didn’t 😆 AND I know that feeling when U know It’s a simple job but u can’t find the problem, I think I learned from this video that the solution is to go backward to find the problem on a project like this and the elaborate (complicated) way is not likely to be the solution

BUT I think it’s good that U instal the new master cylinder because U have to do that anyway and power booster for master cylinder helps to feel the braking because U push more gently the pedal and foot is more relax to feel the response of the road. The same goes for power steering for me if U mention it in live video.

Have fun!

ChrisChris
          Participant

Wow, I wish I would have seen this before I did the rear SSBC disc kit on my 65 mustang. I went through all the problems you did (except I did have the Calipers with the bleeders at the highest point). However, I learned more about brakes during the process. My biggest issue is that I needed to size the MC bore to accommodate the high volume caliper Pistons. Stock is a 7/8″ bore. They were not providing enough fluid to get a strong pedal. When I converted to 1 1/8 bore that cut my pressure by half but doubled the volume to fill the calipers. Installing a booster greatly helped in pedal feel. I am still having parking brake issues especially with the calipers with integrated Parking brakes. I just installed a Lokar e brake kit with extra springs so the parking brake always retracts properly. Great video

RereonehundredRereonehundred
            Participant

I recognize that mistakes like that are mostly the result of fatigue, not ignorance or stupidity.

It’s the reason that some professions and trades mandate rest periods. Locomotive drivers etc……………..

Shaun FlichelShaun Flichel
              Participant

Don’t beat yourself up Eric. In Canada it is referred to as a backing plate. We probly all know what your referring to anyway. And we all make mistakes, human after all.

Michael CrumlettMichael Crumlett
                Participant

Been there before, usually when I’m tired and distracted.

When I saw the calipers on upside down, I had one of those horror movie “Don’t go in there!” moment. I yelled “Oh no! Stop!” Like I could absolve my past mistakes by reaching through time, space, and the internet to make you see that the calipers were installed wrong. Then my heart sank, because it wasn’t going to help, and I knew what the other 25 minutes of the video were going to be.

Keymaster

[quote=”dtidman” post=172665]We all make basic mistakes from time to time. I know I make them at my job every so often and it is embarrassing, but I learn from them.

Good job leaving all that in the video, I’m betting you will save at least one persons bacon by having them avoid the same mistake and then trying to drive without realizing what they did. I think all of you on the youtube Mt. Rushmore of auto techs (ETCG, Scannerdanner, Eric O from SMA and Humble Mechanic) do a great job of leaving the mistakes in and it helps all of us out here.[/quote]

It was my intention to save someone from the same fate and also to show that I’m not infallible.

As for the Mt. Rushmore part, interesting thought. I’d be proud to be on a mountain with them. Thank you.

Keymaster

[quote=”danciusergiu84″ post=172672]Nice job Eric!
                      I’m Sergiu from Romania (Easten Europe)
                      I was curios if I’ll find the mistake but I didn’t 😆 AND I know that feeling when U know It’s a simple job but u can’t find the problem, I think I learned from this video that the solution is to go backward to find the problem on a project like this and the elaborate (complicated) way is not likely to be the solution

BUT I think it’s good that U instal the new master cylinder because U have to do that anyway and power booster for master cylinder helps to feel the braking because U push more gently the pedal and foot is more relax to feel the response of the road. The same goes for power steering for me if U mention it in live video.

Have fun![/quote]

Actually power brakes take away the brake pedal feel, manual brakes are more of a direct connection, but I am glad I did the upgrade. Thanks for your input.

Keymaster

[quote=”shaun” post=172816]Don’t beat yourself up Eric. In Canada it is referred to as a backing plate. We probly all know what your referring to anyway. And we all make mistakes, human after all.[/quote]

It may be referred to that way, but it’s not correct. A backing plate supports a structure, such as with drum brakes. A splash shield keeps debris from an object which is what that part does.

Thanks for your input.

Keymaster

[quote=”Rereonehundred” post=172716]I recognize that mistakes like that are mostly the result of fatigue, not ignorance or stupidity.

It’s the reason that some professions and trades mandate rest periods. Locomotive drivers etc……………..[/quote]

That’s exactly where I was at at the time, and you’re right, we do need rest from time to time to be effective.

Thanks for the comment.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Loading…