Menu

1998 Chrysler AC Repair (Part 2)

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum 1998 Chrysler AC Repair (Part 2)

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

In the other video we just got started, in this one we finish the job of finishing the AC in Barbara’s van. I know I should have replaced the receiver dryer, but I didn’t have the parts on hand when I did this repair. If it’s an issue in the future I can always go back and replace it.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      JosephJoseph
      Participant

Eric,

I want to thank you for taking apart the old compressor. I always wondered what was inside. 🙂

BTW — If the air conditioning system still had freon in it, Couldnt you evac it out yourself using a tank and possibly the vaccum motor? I am curious because I would think that its kinda expensive to have a shop do it. It just seems it would be nice to have a DIY way of evacuating the system and capturing the freon gas.

Anywho, Fantastic video as always and thank you for all your advice. It has kept my evil buick running great since I joined your site.

coffee

Andrew PhillipsAndrew Phillips
        Participant

The US EPA (and similar regulatory agencies around the world) have specific regulations and guidelines for recovery of used refrigerant in auto A/C systems. It isn’t just about getting the old refrigerant out, it’s about containing the used refrigerant and responsible handling. The prices shops charge to do this for customers is very reasonable. Consider also that a portion of the price you pay also has a portion of the regulatory disposal fee for the used refrigerant factored in. Even if a DIY could come up with a contraption to safely recover the refrigerant, what would they do with it then? It can’t go back into an A/C system due to air/moisture/dirt/metal contamination. They’d have to take it to a hazmat disposal site and pay a fee. Now you can see why it’s simpler (and probably cheaper) to let a shop recover it.

JosephJoseph
          Participant

You know this afternoon when I posted the question I really thought to myself “Gee, I think I can come up with a way”.

Now that you posted I actually feel pretty much like an idiot 🙂 . Thanks for setting me straight.

Besides that, If you think about it – On the low side you have pressure of what? approx. 40lbs. So, You go to transfer it to a tank and your gonna end up with 20 lbs in the system still and 20lbs in the tank. Then watcha gonna do? I know there are laws but I just had my DIY hat on at the time I posted that.

thanks, :side:

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
            Keymaster

[quote=”coffee412″ post=142559]Eric,

I want to thank you for taking apart the old compressor. I always wondered what was inside. 🙂

BTW — If the air conditioning system still had freon in it, Couldnt you evac it out yourself using a tank and possibly the vaccum motor? I am curious because I would think that its kinda expensive to have a shop do it. It just seems it would be nice to have a DIY way of evacuating the system and capturing the freon gas.

Anywho, Fantastic video as always and thank you for all your advice. It has kept my evil buick running great since I joined your site.

coffee[/quote]

Good question and honestly I don’t know the answer. I have a friend with a recovery machine that makes things easy when it comes to recovery. Also, I don’t think a shop would charge that much to have a system evacuated. After all, it’s just a matter of hooking up the machine and pushing a button. Very easy money.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…