Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • The Fairmont Goes To The Drag Strip (Baseline run)

The Fairmont Goes To The Drag Strip (Baseline run)

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum The Fairmont Goes To The Drag Strip (Baseline run)

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

I had a blast when I took the Fairmont to the track. Now we know a baseline time for the 1/4 mile. I’m going to see what other baseline tests I can work in before I start the build. Then after I’m done, we’ll do them all over again to see how I did. What are your thoughts?

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      jeffjeff
      Participant

this video gave me some ideas, as far as other benchmark tests and other mods. for benchmark maby a slalom course or a road course maby both? as far as mods go, see what you can do to get better performance out of the strait 6. cheap things for example, better coil. spark plug wires. spark plugs, bigger carb (or jet the stock carb).you could remove the smog system. maby if you are feeling energetic, port and polish the head, or at least smooth it out a little, after all the head gasket does leak and the head has to come off to fix it(if you want to go that far). cheap simple things without going crazy and dumping thousands of dollars into it. after all you do want to swap the motor.
        just a few ideas.

Thomas FerryThomas Ferry
        Participant

I had a couple ideas to for the Fairmont. This car is begging for a Ford 5.0 engine. Since this is already a Fox body I do not think it would be that hard of a thing to do. The aftermarket for this engine is crazy to. Also if Eric wants this to be a drag car I think a Dana 60 rear end should be installed. I’ve never seen one go bad.

Keymaster

[quote=”crash0799″ post=97822]this video gave me some ideas, as far as other benchmark tests and other mods. for benchmark maby a slalom course or a road course maby both? as far as mods go, see what you can do to get better performance out of the strait 6. cheap things for example, better coil. spark plug wires. spark plugs, bigger carb (or jet the stock carb).you could remove the smog system. maby if you are feeling energetic, port and polish the head, or at least smooth it out a little, after all the head gasket does leak and the head has to come off to fix it(if you want to go that far). cheap simple things without going crazy and dumping thousands of dollars into it. after all you do want to swap the motor.
            just a few ideas.[/quote]

I’ve looked into a local road course. It’s a lot more involved and expensive. Also 3 hours away. Still considering it though.

I’m not keeping the 6. I’ve already worked out a plan for the car that I’ll reveal in a future video.

Thanks for the input.

Keymaster

[quote=”Jinzo” post=97849]I had a couple ideas to for the Fairmont. This car is begging for a Ford 5.0 engine. Since this is already a Fox body I do not think it would be that hard of a thing to do. The aftermarket for this engine is crazy to. Also if Eric wants this to be a drag car I think a Dana 60 rear end should be installed. I’ve never seen one go bad.[/quote]

I’m thinking that very thing. It is somewhat involved however as you have to swap out the K member. If not, it won’t accommodate the new engine. I plan to cover this in a future video.

Thanks for your input.

Thomas FerryThomas Ferry
              Participant

Ya I would assume that the k member wouldnt fit a 5.0 engine. Though I wonder how far fetch it would be to pilfer one from a mustang or just get an aftermarket one?

Keymaster

[quote=”Jinzo” post=97903]Ya I would assume that the k member wouldnt fit a 5.0 engine. Though I wonder how far fetch it would be to pilfer one from a mustang or just get an aftermarket one?[/quote]

It will all be revealed in an upcoming video. “The Fairmont, The Plan”.

Steven CummingsSteven Cummings
                  Participant

That’s awesome. IMO, 20 seconds for that age and stock is pretty fair! You’re exactly right about these lanes. We had one out in Lancaster (CA, not PA…though seeing some horse and buggy’s would be entertaining). It shut down a few years back mostly because the land was worth more with a Target on it.

Thomas FerryThomas Ferry
                    Participant

[quote=”EricTheCarGuy” post=97893][quote=”crash0799″ post=97822]this video gave me some ideas, as far as other benchmark tests and other mods. for benchmark maby a slalom course or a road course maby both? as far as mods go, see what you can do to get better performance out of the strait 6. cheap things for example, better coil. spark plug wires. spark plugs, bigger carb (or jet the stock carb).you could remove the smog system. maby if you are feeling energetic, port and polish the head, or at least smooth it out a little, after all the head gasket does leak and the head has to come off to fix it(if you want to go that far). cheap simple things without going crazy and dumping thousands of dollars into it. after all you do want to swap the motor.

I’ve looked into a local road course. It’s a lot more involved and expensive. Also 3 hours away. Still considering it though.

I’m not keeping the 6. I’ve already worked out a plan for the car that I’ll reveal in a future video.

Thanks for the input.[/quote]

Are you talking about Mid-Ohio Eric? I know there is a short track at Kil-kare outside of Xenia (http://www.kilkare.com/)

dandan

good test run, consistency is a very good thing in this case, and the car seems too handle the quarter quite nicely… seems too roll down the drags smooth but it isn’t going that fast yet i suppose, i am excited to see what you have planned for modifications, this car is going too make a killer sleeper, the only real warning they may get is a set of thicker tires for the extra power you plan too add, i am sure the rest of the car will require very little modification that would effect its outer appearance… Fearmont!

you doing this makes me want too Combocharge my car so bad!

Keymaster

[quote=”Jinzo” post=98030][quote=”EricTheCarGuy” post=97893][quote=”crash0799″ post=97822]this video gave me some ideas, as far as other benchmark tests and other mods. for benchmark maby a slalom course or a road course maby both? as far as mods go, see what you can do to get better performance out of the strait 6. cheap things for example, better coil. spark plug wires. spark plugs, bigger carb (or jet the stock carb).you could remove the smog system. maby if you are feeling energetic, port and polish the head, or at least smooth it out a little, after all the head gasket does leak and the head has to come off to fix it(if you want to go that far). cheap simple things without going crazy and dumping thousands of dollars into it. after all you do want to swap the motor.

Thanks for the input.[/quote]

Are you talking about Mid-Ohio Eric? I know there is a short track at Kil-kare outside of Xenia (http://www.kilkare.com/)[/quote]

I’ll look into it but I’m finding that track racing rules are very different that drag racing. I’ll have to look into that track you mentioned. Thanks.

Keymaster

[quote=”13aceofspades13″ post=98053]good test run, consistency is a very good thing in this case, and the car seems too handle the quarter quite nicely… seems too roll down the drags smooth but it isn’t going that fast yet i suppose, i am excited to see what you have planned for modifications, this car is going too make a killer sleeper, the only real warning they may get is a set of thicker tires for the extra power you plan too add, i am sure the rest of the car will require very little modification that would effect its outer appearance… Fearmont!

you doing this makes me want too Combocharge my car so bad![/quote]

No worries. I’m actually building the car around the set of tires I’ve chosen.

Keymaster

All will be revealed in an upcoming video. Stay tuned.

DanaDana
                              Participant

Love the Fox body Fairmount! Hey if you want to keep the cost down, find yourself a wrecked 87-93 Mustang, these years had the best hardware such as the 8.8 rear, stronger transmission, plus if you wanted to convert to Fuel injection, you have that option.
                                I once picked up a wrecked mustang for $1500.00, had the GT40 heads, strong running engine, cobra brakes,.

Keymaster

[quote=”Fast_Lane” post=103283]Love the Fox body Fairmount! Hey if you want to keep the cost down, find yourself a wrecked 87-93 Mustang, these years had the best hardware such as the 8.8 rear, stronger transmission, plus if you wanted to convert to Fuel injection, you have that option.
                                  I once picked up a wrecked mustang for $1500.00, had the GT40 heads, strong running engine, cobra brakes,.[/quote]

I’ve had the same thought. In fact I hope to make a video in the not too distant future talking about my plans for the build.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Loading…