Menu

How To Find Engine Noises

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum How To Find Engine Noises

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

This topic comes up on the forum a lot. I thought I would make this video demonstrating a logical approach to the problem that we often write about trying when people have engine noises here on the forum. It’s an effective method and as you see, can yield some surprising results.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      A toyotakarlIts me

A mechanic’s stethoscope (or long screwdriver)can help as well… For those who don’t know… Generally, A good bearing will hum, and a bad one will roar….

-Karl

Keymaster

Funny. Everybody seems to forget that I made this video as well. BTW there’s a link to this in the description.

dave1645dave1645
          Participant

Funny thing Eric . this just happened to me 2 weeks ago , I was ready to blow 200 dollars on an alternator , when I really check it out and pulled the belt , and as I did , I hit the tensioner, and it screamed at me

BobbyBobby
            Participant

anotehr excellent video Eric. VERY useful for someone. Just got a quick q for ya. Did you happen to look up how much the entire pulley was just to know? I think you said the bearing was around 20$? Just wondering how much more it would have been to replace the whole idler pulley?

Keymaster

[quote=”F-Bobby” post=91965]anotehr excellent video Eric. VERY useful for someone. Just got a quick q for ya. Did you happen to look up how much the entire pulley was just to know? I think you said the bearing was around 20$? Just wondering how much more it would have been to replace the whole idler pulley?[/quote]

I didn’t look it up but I’m sure it’s at least $50 if not more.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…