Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2001 GMC Sonoma 2.2L Engine Replacement Series

2001 GMC Sonoma 2.2L Engine Replacement Series

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum 2001 GMC Sonoma 2.2L Engine Replacement Series

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

This one has a special significance for me. It was quite a journey. I look forward to your comments.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Keymaster

Here’s part 2

A toyotakarlIts me

Great video!

The part that kinda suprised me is that you used a chain, not a Load Leveler….I mean, getting an engine out with just a chain is doable, but when you put it back in, a load leveler is a great help (looking forward to the 3d video!!!)

I have a load leveler from Harbor Freight ($36.99) and have pulled over a dozen engines with it and it still keeps going strong, although I did replace the cheap handle with a Snap on Screwdriver handle :cheer: … It is an inexpensive and easy way to adjust the length of the pulling chains on it and level the load if need be….Of course you know this already….

A quicker way you could have dealt with shortening that chain was with a snap link or simply just twist it up! When you twist the chain, it will shorten up on its own…

I always keep 3 locking snap links and three long cuts of seat belt with my hoist when it is in storage… I have also pulled engines using just long strips of seat belts and tied them off on the engine/transaxle… a great quick and “soft” way of pulling engines quickly when you have issues with getting a hook or snap link clipped in, or just need a way to get that core loaded back into the truck ASAP… Most people don’t know that most all modern seat belts are rated to 6000 lbs tensile strength… that is better than some chain ratings!!!

Just my 2 cents!

Awesome video and thanks again!

-Karl

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-capacity-heavy-duty-load-leveler-5402.html

Keymaster

[quote=”ToyotaKarl” post=66675]Great video!

The part that kinda suprised me is that you used a chain, not a Load Leveler….I mean, getting an engine out with just a chain is doable, but when you put it back in, a load leveler is a great help (looking forward to the 3d video!!!)

I have a load leveler from Harbor Freight ($36.99) and have pulled over a dozen engines with it and it still keeps going strong, although I did replace the cheap handle with a Snap on Screwdriver handle :cheer: … It is an inexpensive and easy way to adjust the length of the pulling chains on it and level the load if need be….Of course you know this already….

A quicker way you could have dealt with shortening that chain was with a snap link or simply just twist it up! When you twist the chain, it will shorten up on its own…

I always keep 3 locking snap links and three long cuts of seat belt with my hoist when it is in storage… I have also pulled engines using just long strips of seat belts and tied them off on the engine/transaxle… a great quick and “soft” way of pulling engines quickly when you have issues with getting a hook or snap link clipped in, or just need a way to get that core loaded back into the truck ASAP… Most people don’t know that most all modern seat belts are rated to 6000 lbs tensile strength… that is better than some chain ratings!!!

Just my 2 cents!

Awesome video and thanks again!

-Karl

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-capacity-heavy-duty-load-leveler-5402.html%5B/quote%5D

I’ve used seat belts too. In fact in other engine videos I’ve done. I just grabbed the chain this time because I did. I don’t have a load leveler which is why I didn’t use one. Thanks for your input.

Michele PensottiMichele Pensotti
            Participant

What can I say Eric?

First of all, I’m very glad you got a chance to work on that Sonoma because of its human importance for you. 🙂

Then I suffered with you in the 1st part to try and make room around that engine and disconnect all of its bits and pieces and all of its “GM idiosyncrasy” 😉

And then came part 2, where I started seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
              And, at last, I saw “mr engine” leave its bay; it was like seeing the Enterprise leave space dock, GREAT! 🙂

And YOU are the Captain, Helm and Chief Engineer! :woohoo:

AWESOME! 😉

Thank you for all the epic work Eric! :cheer:

I eagerly wait to see part 3! :woohoo:

Live long and prosper (and stay dirty!)

10nico

ChrisR1987ChrisR1987
              Participant

I appreciate the significance of the video to you Eric. It made me think of a real good friend of mine that I lost shortly after HS to a rare form of cancer by rare meaning its rare to affect someone as young as he was.

Keymaster

[quote=”ChrisR1987″ post=67124]I appreciate the significance of the video to you Eric. It made me think of a real good friend of mine that I lost shortly after HS to a rare form of cancer by rare meaning its rare to affect someone as young as he was.[/quote]

My condolences for your friend.

Ryan was a fan of my show. He’s one of the people that knew me before I was ETCG. Great guy. I know he’s pretty happy about his ‘feature’ on my show. It was difficult to get through the shoot, but the truck is back on the road and his little brother is driving it. Best ending I could have hoped for.

ChrisR1987ChrisR1987
                  Participant

Glad to know this series definately will have a happy ending

cbridencbriden
                    Participant

I am waiting to see how you get that manual transmission to line up on the install! An automatic is tricky enough, but I can’t imagine doing a manual tranny the same way. Seems like it would really fight you. My bet is that you are going to remove it – but we will see.

I love the engine pulling videos – they are my favorite ETCG videos by far.

Keymaster
                        A toyotakarlIts me

I think this series is some of your best work yet…..

It seems like this episode you are better rested and appear sharper with a fluid dialog. Not that there is anything wrong with your earliest videos… You just always looked smoked! :woohoo:

The lighting was great as well.

When I saw you with the Taps going after the manifold I almost cringed, but then you explained yourself very well and it was cast iron instead of aluminum…. When you first had the problem getting the bolt in right after you tapped and lubed the hole I thought “he may need to run a re-threading die around those bolts”

By my count here are the items you need so we know what to send you at Christmas time:

Load Leveler
                          Brass punch set
                          Rethreading kit

See you tomorrow!

Cheers,

Karl

Chris JenkinsChris Jenkins
                          Participant

I’m glad to see you doing a video on this truck. I have ’02 S10 that I’m getting ready to pull the motor for a pan gasket and rear seals. This motor is identical even appears to be flex fuel judging by the fuel rail. There are a lot of these tucks on the road and this is a great video to demonstrate replacing the engine as well as other repairs. Keep up the good work!

PrenernPrenern
                            Participant

Hey Eric,

You should make the section in part 3 where you remove the studs with the “2 nut method” a Quick Tip, it might help some people out.

Hope the rest of the series goes well, looking forward to Friday and part 4.

Thanks for the great videos.

Keymaster

[quote=”Kinny” post=67528]Hey Eric,

You should make the section in part 3 where you remove the studs with the “2 nut method” a Quick Tip, it might help some people out.

Hope the rest of the series goes well, looking forward to Friday and part 4.

Thanks for the great videos.[/quote]

I’m way ahead of you. I already have a separate video edited with just that section that will air after the series wraps up.

Thanks for the suggestion.

ChrisR1987ChrisR1987
                                Participant

Im stoked for the rest of this series but of course I havwe my own reasons why Im stoked

Keymaster

I almost forgot to post Part 4!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…