Torque Converters Explained

• EricTheCarGuy
  • EricTheCarGuy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 4 months ago #51316 by EricTheCarGuy
Torque Converters Explained was created by EricTheCarGuy
I've wanted to make this video for some time. In fact I've had these fans sitting at the shop for almost a year waiting for this video to be made. I know that I screwed up some of the terminology but I'm hoping the concept of how a torque converter works is conveyed in this video. I look forward to your thoughts.

Stay dirty
The following user(s) said Thank You: jgiesing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advertisement
More
6 years 4 months ago #51331 by spelunkerd
Replied by spelunkerd on topic Torque Converters Explained
It was a great video for showing the details, and thank you for going through all that effort. It was interesting enough that I put some time in to read more about it.

Unfortunately, according to several other sources, the impeller is directly connected to the motor, and the turbine is directly connected to the transmission. If you agree, it wouldn't be too difficult to repost a second edition this video with corrected details. I think it could all be done electronically without refilming anything.

Otherwise it will be a point of confusion for years to come....

I've posted a few dozen automotive videos on Youtube, under the channel "Spelunkerd".

Advanced amateur, intrigued by the science and engineering of automobile design and repair.

More
6 years 4 months ago #51333 by jeb721
Replied by jeb721 on topic Torque Converters Explained
Awesome Video!
Question.... When I put my car in drive and have the foot on the brake is it solely hydraulic pressure that trys to make the car go forward or is the TC clutch slipping? is the clutch for the "lock up" aspect of the tranny?

• EricTheCarGuy
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 4 months ago #51381 by EricTheCarGuy
Replied by EricTheCarGuy on topic Torque Converters Explained
I'm aware that I got some of the terminology wrong. I also didn't like the way some of the other information was presented. It's for those reasons I'm going to make a new video to replace this one with. I'm going to pull this one when I get the new one finished.

Stay dirty

• EricTheCarGuy
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 4 months ago #51382 by EricTheCarGuy
Replied by EricTheCarGuy on topic Torque Converters Explained

jeb721 wrote: Awesome Video!
Question.... When I put my car in drive and have the foot on the brake is it solely hydraulic pressure that trys to make the car go forward or is the TC clutch slipping? is the clutch for the "lock up" aspect of the tranny?

You don't go into 'lock up' until you're cursing down the highway. If the torque converter locks up at idle it will cause the engine to stall.

Stay dirty

Advertisement
More
6 years 4 months ago #51390 by jeb721
Right.... I noticed this in my Ridgeline at any cruising speed over 60 or 70? You can hit the gas and it feels like its a standard in the way that the revs wont move.

Ok Lockup Torque converter... Got it. Better for gas mileage id take it.

More
6 years 4 months ago #51404 by Pengy
Replied by Pengy on topic Torque Converters Explained
You can easily see your torque converter lock up when it seems like there is an "extra" gear in your transmissions where your rpm drops a bit due to it locking up. The torque converter should also get out of lockup to raise RPMs and increase torque by using the torque multiplier when you give it enough gas though.

I have also seen torque converters lockup in every gear (depending on what speed you are at and your current throttle positions) in newer vehicles. Which essentially makes the transmission an automated manual transmission in the engine->transmission connection, however the gears would still be clutch activated.

More
6 years 4 months ago #51441 by jeb721
I have a 2008 Honda Ridgeline and I just read that the Lock up function is available in 2nd through 5th gear. I have been really paying attention to the tach and I have noticed the revs will go quite low, 1300RPM when cruising at 50-60. I can tell the converter is locked when I hit the gas a little, and the revs dont move at all. Love that lock up function. Ive had manuals most of my life.

More
6 years 4 months ago #51499 by blaster
Replied by blaster on topic Torque Converters Explained
What happened to the video?

More
6 years 4 months ago #51675 by slipknot1488
Replied by slipknot1488 on topic Torque Converters Explained
Only issue I had with the video, and everyone makes mistakes so please no one jump down my throat, was that I was always taught that the impeller was "driven" by the engine via the torque converter housing and power is transferred via transmission fluid to the turbine, which is splined to the input shaft of the tranny.

Advertisement
Time to create page: 0.293 seconds