Menu

Why Use Wheel Bolts??

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG1 Video Discussions Why Use Wheel Bolts??

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

I’ve always been annoyed by wheel bolts. When I asked why they used them, I got what I feel is a BS answer. Why do you think they use wheel bolts?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Zac AleksovskiZac Aleksovski
      Participant

I don’t know. If they use the bolts for cost savings, you would think the US car manufacturers would have been all over that a long time ago. You would think having to wrestle getting wheels on with bolts would be a hassle on the assembly line. Probably use something to index the wheel to make it go quicker.

khaliok khaliokxkhaliok khaliokx
        Participant

When I was in college, I worked as a tire installer and installed thousands of tires on all sorts of foreign and domestic vehicles. I found that not only were the bolts on European vehicles very high quality but I also never saw one ever get buggered up like the studs and nuts on some American cars. I think part of the problem is that the studs and nuts are incredibly cheap on many vehicles. The lug nuts on my Hyundai were so cheap that the outer sleeve on the lug nuts peeled apart the first time I removed a tire from my car. I replaced all of the lug nuts with solid steel acorn nuts. BTW, the steel wheels on the old Mercedes and Audis were so good that, often, I did not have to add any weight to get a perfectly balanced wheel when I installed Michelin tires.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…