Menu

Shop Etiquette

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG1 Video Discussions Shop Etiquette

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

Grab your tea and crumpets and lets talk about it.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Kevin CriswellKevin Criswell
      Participant

Excellent video.

The only things that was “my way or the highway” as either the head tech or owner was sloppy work.

I can’t stand globs of RTV or not re-installing clips, shields and air damns. My other “thing” is proper torque, I don’t allow the use of impacts to install wheels and often have told my techs that if Alldata gives you a torque I expect to see a torque wrench.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
        Keymaster

[quote=”Raistian77″ post=75580]Excellent video.

The only things that was “my way or the highway” as either the head tech or owner was sloppy work.

I can’t stand globs of RTV or not re-installing clips, shields and air damns. My other “thing” is proper torque, I don’t allow the use of impacts to install wheels and often have told my techs that if Alldata gives you a torque I expect to see a torque wrench.[/quote]

I can’t stand globs of RTV either. I’m not as good about torque however. I do use a torque stick if I have a compressor with real air pressure. The one I have at the shop now really isn’t anything to worry about. I still should be better about torquing stuff though.

Thanks for your input.

Participant

[quote=”EricTheCarGuy” post=75598][quote=”Raistian77″ post=75580]Excellent video.

I can’t stand globs of RTV or not re-installing clips, shields and air damns. My other “thing” is proper torque, I don’t allow the use of impacts to install wheels and often have told my techs that if Alldata gives you a torque I expect to see a torque wrench.[/quote]

I can’t stand globs of RTV either. I’m not as good about torque however. I do use a torque stick if I have a compressor with real air pressure. The one I have at the shop now really isn’t anything to worry about. I still should be better about torquing stuff though.

Thanks for your input.[/quote]

What made me abandon torque sticks was an experiment I did in the shop once. I torqued the wheels down with the sticks and than using a beam torque wrench broke them and recorded the numbers. Some were way over the limit and some were way under.

Another issue was liability, I found out that since torque sticks are not “officially” approved by the manufactures, using them could put a shop at risk for an incorrect installation lawsuit.

And Thanks for the website, love it.

BillBill
            Participant

The independent, flat rate shop I used to work in, some of the employees didn’t like me cuz I’m outspoken, don’t take crap from anyone most times and not politically correct.

Others applauded my personality and would pat me on the back If I set things straight with the Boss’s favourites. YES I did push many wrong buttons there.

I had seniority in the shop but because of my age and some health issues I was reduced to a “Bum Boy”

I have since left that place and am now on hourly making almost as much as I did on Flat Rate with less than half of the stress I had before. The people there appreciate what I have to offer. Nobody there judges me either.

I guess I’m lucky to find a workplace where shop etiquette Isn’t important.

DavidDavid
              Participant

I’ll take my lumps and learn from the old hands, but I’ve worked with some guys that will literally scare off some really good employees. It’s a little of the “I.T. Dept.” syndrome.

The IT guy is bipolar and can’t work with anybody, scares customers and employees, threatens to sue if we fire him, but because he does good work we keep him around.

In the short term he makes the store money, but at what cost? I want a strong tech but he’s gotta realize he’s not just fixing cars, he’s part of a team.

The whistle doesn’t pull the train and it’s good (for the boss) to let the whistle know that occasionally.

😉

Participant

One thing I hated the most about “flat rate” shops Bill, was the techs there are much less likely to assist other techs in the shop.

BillBill
                  Participant

Yeah…I guess some flat rate shops are like that but I always tried to promote a team effort and most times it worked out there. Although some guys punched onto Support and Supervisory so they still got paid while helping others.

JonathanJonathan
                    Participant

I have only had the pleasure of working in two shops in my (still growing) career, but each has been a rather good place to work. The one shop, I was still in tech school, did good in class, helped teachers with fixing cars at the schoo, etc. I felt I was ready to fix cars, but my boss really didn’t need me for that job. All he wanted be fore was the shop hand, oil changer, tire and alignment guy. But once in a while he would let me loose to do a break job or some suspension work. That shop though was full of salary guys and was really a great place to work. They were all pretty friendly, very knowledgeable and experienced, and all tried to help each other out. Looking back, I took this experience the wrong way. I looked it as they didn’t trust me, they didn’t think I was ready, they didn’t like me, etc. So I sucked it up and changed oil all day every day until I started to let it go. Then I really learned that if I changed my outlook, my work place can be a really good place to be. So I finished up tech school, bought a big tool kit and got basically laughed at by the guys there because I was so sour for so long, they never though I’d amount to anything.

So I move on to my “first” technician job at a dealership, and I’m doing amazing. Making money, get along with everyone, even made some friends and am teaching some of the lube technicians how to do some stuff. So basically what I’m saiying is. As for etiquette, it’s all about how you work with the people you are around. In hind sight, I was somewhat of an asshole sometimes because I thought I was better than the position I was in. Now that I’m “on my own” as a tech at a dealer, I really found that helping out another tech out of your own time, will really help you out in the long run. I kept quiet at the dealer at first. I didn’t even know anyone’s name almost a month into the job, but I think that my experience and quality of repairs spoke for themselves. I didn’t really need to introduce myself, I’m only here to fix cars, and as long as I can do that, I’m not out to pester anybody.

Now I have great relationships with everyone there. To me, Etiquette is just plain old not being an asshole … listen to the guy who’s been around since the dawn of man – chances are he knows a thing or two and your new school approach might be a little flawed. I don’t like to learn things the hard way … teach me things all day and I’ll listen. Then I’ll take what I’ve learned and mold it to what I already know and become that much better.

TLDR: Don’t be an asshole.

Participant

[quote=”NullHead” post=75861]

So I move on to my “first” technician job at a dealership, and I’m doing amazing. Making money, get along with everyone, even made some friends and am teaching some of the lube technicians how to do some stuff. [/quote]

When you find the right place, working on cars goes from :angry: to :woohoo:

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…