Menu

Need advice on a project car

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge What Are You Working On? Need advice on a project car

• Creator
    Topic
    AlexAlex
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I am reaching out to all of you car enthusiasts for an advice. Below is a brief explanation of my situation.

I am looking for a project car. And I need an advice on what vehicle to choose and as much specifics as possible. This will be my first project car. Before this, I have wrenched on a small amount of vehicles from the 90’s and 2000’s, doing small and medium size jobs. Examples: brakes, shocks, CV axles, ball joints, tie rods, alternators, starters, drive belts, thermostats, hoses, tensioners, fluids, transmissions seals, etc. Also, I took a couple of classes from an auto school (community college), it was a while ago though. At school I took an engine (Toyota v6) apart and put it back together, and worked on basic electrical systems, as well as suspension components repair and diagnostics. I feel very confident in myself and I love to learn. I just haven’t done anything huge like that.

Here is my situation. I have been dreaming of a project car for a long time. I live in California, in an apartment, so I do not have an ability to do this type of work here. However, I have a family in Mexico and I visit them very frequently. My wife and me have a small piece of land there, for a future house, when we retire. It is in a safe place and fenced. I wanted to buy a project car over there and work on it little by little, when I am visiting. I am thinking that all I really would need is a removable tent or something to cover the car from sun, while I am working. My sister-in-law’s house is right next to it.

What car should I purchase? I was thinking about some old American V8 truck or an SUV, maybe? What year and what model (which engine, transmission)? Also, maybe a Japanese car from the 90’s? Which (Nissan maybe)? Or a famous Volkswagen Beatle? Given the circumstances, it should be something simple, cheap, and galore of available parts. Taking into account that I will be able to bring something small from the US, whatever I can fit in a suitcase at the airport. In addition, which tools should I purchase? Metric and standard? Just standard? Depending on the project car of course.

Please, share your advice and let me know any helpful thoughts or tips you might have.
      Thank you all very much!

With respect,
      Alex

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MikeMike
      Participant

What kind of vehicle do you want to own and drive when the project is over?

If you want something that is easy to work on, I’d suggest getting something from the days prior to fuel injection and computerization. Any old 1/2 ton truck would be a good choice, or any of the truck-based variants, like an old Bronco, Chevy Blazer/GMC Jimmy or Dodge Ramcharger. The beauty of something like these choices is that you aren’t restricted to using the engine your project truck comes with. Any number of engines from the manufacturer will fit, and what began as a timid 6 cylinder truck can become a stomping V8 big block beast in your hands.

Trucks aside, cars like the old Dodge Dart or Plymouth Duster are about as simple as things get. I have a soft spot for old Chrysler products, but Ford and GM have worthy candidates as well. And, your suggestion of an old VW Beetle is worth considering too.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…