Menu

Scan Tool

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk Scan Tool

• Creator
    Topic
    03AP103AP1
    Participant

Hey everyone, I would like to

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      dreamer2355dreamer2355
      Participant

Its a very basic scan tool which will just tell you the code only, nothing else to aid in the diagnosis.

There is already a few threads with scan tool questions in if you wan to use our search function.

03AP103AP1
        Participant

What do you mean will not aid in the diagnosis? I don’t mind if it doesn’t give me an actual description if that is what you mean?

I browsed the forum a bit, and many guys are asking about some pretty high end snap on stuff. I am not looking for anything near that. I am just a backyard guy trying to maintain my own vehicle. If you have a thread that you think may interest me I am all ears. (Or eyes)

johnzcarzjohnzcarz
          Participant

There are many different

03AP103AP1
            Participant

Ok, thanks. I know some scanners go as far as even allowing you to turn on and off certain circuits and what not. And some probably that I don’t even know about.

I just want an alternative than going to autozone to get my code read. So I can read it at home. (Even though its free at autozone) saves the drive.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
              Participant

Quoted From 03AP1:

What do you mean will not aid in the diagnosis? I don’t mind if it doesn’t give me an actual description if that is what you mean?

I browsed the forum a bit, and many guys are asking about some pretty high end snap on stuff. I am not looking for anything near that. I am just a backyard guy trying to maintain my own vehicle. If you have a thread that you think may interest me I am all ears. (Or eyes)

I was refering to scan tools that show PID data or are bi-directional.

I would look at some of the Actron and OTC scan tools that show the code, description and at least freeze frame data. Its very basic. They sell for about $120.

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
                Participant

OTC can be kinda pricey for some people but, actron has some really nice units.
                  Harborfreight also have a pretty good come scanner that does live data and graphing on some sensors for like $160 bucks
                  (some times a lot less if they are on sale or you use a 20% coupon) I actually have one that i got for $100 bucks cause it was on sale and i had a
                  20% off, this is the one i use the most for basic code reading cause I would much much rather break that then my snapon scanner.

aamir2892aamir2892
                  Participant

I’ve got the Autel Maxiscan MS509. Really good tool, shows live data and everything. Even displays live readings in a graph.

igdltigdlt
                    Participant

You can get the simple cheap ones that only give you the codes and they will work, but if you want to have an easier time diagnosing a vehicle find one with live data. I know they are a little bit more expensive but trust me its worth it. I have the innova 3130 with live data and it cost me about $127 at amazon.

TexasCoderTexasCoder
                      Participant

I agree with the LIVE DATA comments, I went from a simple code reader, to my Actron 9850 http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9580-Sca … B003IOITRG A night and day difference! I like it so far, but I would really like to have one that can do bi-directional and allow me to test components on a vehicle (ie: EVAP/locks/sensors….) But those are north of $2000, so it will be a LONG LONG while before this DIY can convince his wallet to cough it up.

You can watch my unboxing of my actron if you are thinking of getting one: http://youtu.be/N6N60GnabCE

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…