Menu

What OBD 2 Code Reader To Buy??

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk What OBD 2 Code Reader To Buy??

• Creator
    Topic
    JosiahJosiah
    Participant

Hello everyone, I am looking for a code reader, and don’t know which one to buy. Right now I am looking at the Autel AL619 ( http://www.amazon.com/Autel-AL619-OBDII-Scan-Tool/dp/B0091DJWV0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8 ), anyone know if that one is good?

I will be using it for my sisters 2003 Chevy impala for check engine light, 2002 Chevy s10 with check engine, abs, and srs lights. Someone said it doesn’t cover earlier than 2004 for srs, is that true?

Also have 1999 Chevy Blazer and 2008 Kia Sedona that I may use it on in the future if they ever have lights come on.

Please let me know what you think about that scanner and if you suggest a different one.

PS. I don’t really want to spend more than 150 on one. It must be able to read ABS and SRS.

Thanks!

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      James O'HaraJames O’Hara
      Participant

OBD2 only does check engine light codes. Even then there are still some that are factory set that the OBD2 will not pick up. As for SRS and ABS it likely will not show under regular OBD2.

This product says it does them but, I would remain skeptical. If you look under the 1 star reviews you see a laundry list of people saying the same thing about their support, update software, etc.

For just OBD2 Scanner I use this BAFX Products – Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool a cheap best buy Bluetooth to USB adapter and a laptop with Windows Xp on it. It takes a little bit to set the com ports up but, the info to do so comes on the cd along with various pieces of software. I have actually had some luckwith manufacturer specific codes as well but, I never looked into SRS or ABS.

I have also heard of people using their Android phone and the Torque App but, I have not done this myself.

If you want SRS or ABS codes the only ways to do that I am aware of is Manufacturer Specific Scan Tools and Newer Snap-On Scan Tools. None of which are cheap.

JosiahJosiah
        Participant

Is there any other way to check the abs and srs lights other than an expensive scan tool?

Andrew PhillipsAndrew Phillips
          Participant

It depends on the definition of expensive, I suppose. $20 could be expensive to some people, while others wouldn’t blink an eye at $1000. The aftermarket is encouraging scan tool makers to include ABS and SRS functionality in their tools. Perhaps one reason that more are not is due to a lack of cooperation with between the auto makers and the third parties. I don’t know that for fact, it’s just my speculation. There is this, though (link).

JosiahJosiah
            Participant

Yeah, that’s a little too pricey. I didn’t want to spend more than $150. Is there that much difference between the one you suggested and the autel al619?

none nonenone
              Participant

I like the Actron CP9580 as it does pull global and manufacturer OBDII codes and ABS codes. My last shop had two of them for quick code reads and they’ve got live data. The second scanner was an OTC 3111 and it’s the exact same reader as the Actron in OTC colors. I actually did a lot of simple diagnoses with the live data off either one. The only thing they really needed were software updates. But even at that, you still have the global OBDII option to pull codes off any car up to present model year anyway.

Advance auto parts had them for sale at half price a month ago so I bought one for $125. If you have an Advance store nearby, go there to price check it. I don’t recall their website advertising the sale price when I bought it. It was only current to 2010 out of the box, but it doesn’t need to be that current anyway; especially for what you’re planning on keeping it for. What I’ve noticed about my scanner vs. the two I used at Sears is that mine is current to 2010 where theirs were current to ’08. Mine does access as many modules as it can whereas the other two wouldn’t do more than OBD and ABS. Mine also can auto ID a lot of cars too. These scanners are updatable so you can probably find one used and update it over the internet. It’s a really simple scanner to use too. Just don’t get your hopes up for bidirectional controls.

wafrederickwafrederick
                Participant

There is a cheap version of the Tech 2 out there and is on Ebay,$350.00 to $400.00.It is Chinese made and does the same thing as the real deal.Don’t have it updated,will crash and you throw it away.No one will fix it when this happens

Joseph CJoseph C
                  Participant

[quote=”cap269″ post=140125]It depends on the definition of expensive, I suppose. $20 could be expensive to some people, while others wouldn’t blink an eye at $1000. The aftermarket is encouraging scan tool makers to include ABS and SRS functionality in their tools. Perhaps one reason that more are not is due to a lack of cooperation with between the auto makers and the third parties. I don’t know that for fact, it’s just my speculation. There is this, though (link).[/quote]

Cheap scan tool is cheap!

Have two vehicles in the shop. This tool has been no help on either one. The first is a 1996 GMC Yukon with the anti-lock brake light on. The tool retrieved codes , but the codes were only two digit numbers. I called Innova and the tech man had no idea what the two digit codes meant. The other vehicle is a 2004 Silverado Duramax/Allison. It has the check engine light on along with a message “Range Shift Inhibited”. The code displayed is P0700. I have learned that this particular code is just one from the transmission control module telling the MIL to turn on. I called Innova again and asked how do I retrieve codes from the transmission control module. The tech man said the tool would not retrieve codes from the TCM. This is supposed to be a semi-pro tool and at this point it is not worth any more to me than one of the $30 code readers from Harbor Freight. I can not recommend this tool to anyone based on today’s experience.

^ There HAS to be some kind of happy medium. I had an Actron that was pretty good.. Helped me find a faulty CTS on a beloved Volvo. Now the Autel I have can’t scan my 2003 GMC Envoy XL. I hear this because GM uses funky CAN codes…. “Expensive readers get it just fine” my cheap one just ss “Sorry can’t do it.”

Joseph CJoseph C
                    Participant

Quick search says this one at $40 is worth $150 and has nothing but good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K5OHZFY?psc=1

Goldiger OM500 OBD II Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles with full function
                      by joyluxy
                      24 customer reviews | 6 answered questions
                      List Price: $150.00
                      Price: $100.00
                      Sale: $39.98 & FREE Shipping. Details
                      You Save: $110.02 (73%)

Attachments:
                      David RoddickDavid Roddick
                      Participant

I got a great Equus/Innova from HB Tools. I got the one that let’s me also read codes prior to OBD II (like in my 94 Mustang GT) and still read engine codes in about everything else. It does not read Air Bag codes (I think that’s right). Anyway, just check out JB Tools. And when I ordered it from JB I also priced it at Advance and on Amazon and JB beat both (Advance was a lot higher – and I like Advance). I got a 31403. It’s the one that does read OBD II plus earlier codes and it comes with the adaptors so you can read the earlier codes. I just checked online and their price is currently higher than what I had to pay so you may want to shop around. I do like the Equus units. If you do not need to read pre-OBD II codes you can get one that is cheaper OR one that does more with modern (96 and up) cars.

Joseph CJoseph C
                        Participant

I actually did get this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K5OHZFY?psc=1 and now it is just sitting around until it needs to be used lol 🙂

$40, I’m not sure this one is yet beat. (For value/cars it reads)

tuitatuita
                          Participant

[quote=”Mechanic2001″ post=140192]Yeah, that’s a little too pricey. I didn’t want to spend more than $150. Is there that much difference between the one you suggested and the autel al619?[/quote]

if you want to buy one obd2 scanner less than $150 ,vident ilink400 is a good choice
                            VIDENT iLink400 Full System Single Make Scan tool Support ABS/SRS/EPB/DPF/Oil Reset Update Online Support GM ,OPEL,HOLDEN to 2019
                            http://www.chinacardiags.com/wholesale/vident-ilink400-full-system.html

and foxwell nt530 you can consider it,but price is a little higher
                            http://www.chinacardiags.com/wholesale/foxwell-nt530-scanner.html

Rudy RRudy R
                            Participant

A couple of months late here, but I picked up a Bluedriver from Amazon back in November. For most of the recent cars, it can read OBD-II, SRS and ABS codes. They work with the manufacturers on compatibility for the OEM-specific codes. (Check their site, where you can enter your make/model/year to see what compatibility they offer.) I’ve had one of those generic ELM327 for about five years, which works in a pinch and I need a quick OBD-II check.

I tried the Bluedriver on my 2004 Civic’s SRS error, but SRS support is not available for that generation of Civic (later ones are). For older cases like this Civic, the code can be read through triggering the ECU to flash the SRS malfunction indicator (small red seat belt/air bag logo) with the error code.

The Bluedriver is $99, readily available from Amazon and elsewhere, no additional fees or subscriptions required, and requires a phone app to use for both reading the codes, and updating the firmware on the Bluedriver unit. It’s not as complete as one of the full-blown scanners out there (especially those that can activate solenoids, for example), but it’s been a good mid-point between the two. No affiliation here, but hadn’t seen it mentioned in this thread and thought I’d toss it in.

Jace MontgomeryJace Montgomery
                              Participant

I also recommend the Actron CP9580, it does the job perfectly for me.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              Loading…