Menu

Brake Fluid Tester

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk Brake Fluid Tester

• Creator
    Topic
    davedave
    Participant

My brakes instructor told showed us this brake fluid tester last class and gave a pretty good demonstration. It measures the percentage of copper in the brake fluid with just a click of a button. 2% copper or less in the fluid is good.

He gave a really good argument about this tool paying for itself after selling just one brake fluid flush. The results are indisputable and instant. He even demonstrated testing brand new brake fluid vs. a random shop car.

By showing the customer that you are actually not BS’ing them and that they actually need a brake flush, a technician or shop could greatly increase profit by selling more brake fluid flushes.

and yes, I am getting one.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man
        celticbhoycelticbhoy
        Participant

I thought it measured the moisture content of the brake fluid and 3% or greater means the fluid should be flushed. They make one for copper?

Jim MorrissJim Morriss
          Participant

Would seem to me moisture would be the most worrisome. The boiling point of the fluid drop rapidly with just a small amount of moisture. Don’t know about the silicon stuff but the ‘normal’ stuff sucks it right outta the air.

I used to love to see that gallon can at the local service station with the vent hole in it so it would pour without chugging.

Someone explain how the copper might/will damage the ABS. Or is this one of those asteroid hitting the earth mights that people hawking stuff use?

davedave
            Participant

the main effects of copper in the brake fluid are: lower boiling point and higher freezing point… essentially turning your DOT3 into DOT1.

Penrite Super DOT4 all the way !
              I have a fluid tester and when cars come in with brake fluid I’m not a custom to such as blue or green fluid and I want to check if its still good then I use my tester best $14 I ever spent.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…