Menu

What was the last tool you bought?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk What was the last tool you bought?

• Creator
    Topic
    celticbhoycelticbhoy
    Participant

Not sure if this topic has been created yet so might as well start one up. We have something like this in another forum and it’s a great resource when looking for new stuff.

Went to sears yesterday and bought an 88 piece socket set with a 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 ratchet. Regular $200, got it for $50. Made in China unfortunately but I need to slowly build my collection for school. This should be a good base.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      johnzcarzjohnzcarz
      Participant

I finally broke down and bought a 3/8″ x 6″ locking extension. I got tired of fishing my sparkplug sockets out of the plug wells on overhead cam engines.

RickRick
        Participant

A ball-joint separator (pickle-fork). For some reason hitting the steering knuckle with a hammer has never worked for me.

619DioFan619DioFan
          Participant

Quoted From dreamer2355:

SAE and Metric Gear Wrench stubby sets 😀

Can not tell you how many times the stubby gear wrenches have saved my sanity. I am sure they will save yours as well.

Anonymous

I just bought a set of Central Tool Company USA-built precision micrometers (all new old stock):

1. 0″-1″
              2. 0.3″ – 1.3″ brake micrometer
              3. 1″-2″
              4. Jeweled dial indicator with magnetic base

The whole set cost about $225, but compared to the Chinese-built stuff I’ve been using, it’s like going from a Huffy bike to a Rolls-Royce. This all started a few weeks ago when I took apart my Chinese-made Craftsman micrometer for an adjustment and cleaning, and discovered that the entire inside of the barrel was covered in rust. Then I looked at my Chinese-made dial indicator, which I haven’t used in a while, and found that it had actually seized due to rust on the gear set inside the tool. I found this to be very peculiar, since NONE of my USA-made tools had any rust on them.

At this point, I decided to bite the bullet and go with a used set of Starett micrometers from Ebay. During my search, I found the Central Precision Tools and was impressed with their value and after reading that they’ve been operating out of Cranston, RI for the past hundred years, I decided to take a gamble and purchase them. These new, old stock Central micrometers cost about a third of what their gently-used Starett equivalents were going for. When they arrived, I opened the boxes and HOLY TOLEDO, they’re so nice compared to my Craftsman set, it’s like night and day. I’m always amazed at how well-built tools from the 1960s and 1970s are. I think the dial indicator is a 1990’s vintage, but even that runs like silk.

I’m a very happy camper right now. S:)

dreamer2355dreamer2355
              Participant

SAE and Metric Gear Wrench stubby sets 😀

1sickaccord1sickaccord
                Participant

Snap On 212SFSMY

12-Piece Metric Deep Socket Set (8mm-19mm) *6point*

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                  Participant

Quoted From 619DioFan:

Can not tell you how many times the stubby gear wrenches have saved my sanity. I am sure they will save yours as well.

Yes, there very handy. Im sure they will get there use C8-)

Shaun_300Shaun_300
                    Participant

Last thing I bought was a lighted pick set from Matco, they are great! I now have the large and the small ones. They have LED lights that shine where you’re working.

oilythumboilythumb
                      Participant

Rick you should take a look at 3/4 Forged Ball Point Joint Separator from HF, my last tool i bought was an adapter 1/2 to 3/8

oilythumboilythumb
                        Participant

Rick you should take a look at 3/4 Forged Ball Point Joint Separator from HF, my last tool i bought was an adapter 1/2 to 3/8

uposb4uposb4
                          Participant

The last thing I bought were a pair of mechanics gloves. Love them! Can’t believe I waited so long to try them. Other than that the last thing was a 1/4 ratchet.

MattMatt
                            Participant

Ha, the last tool I bought was the $8 brake pad spreader from autozone. I was really sick of using the old c-clamp. And man, do I wish I had bought that thing ten years ago…

John B KobberstadJohn B Kobberstad
                              Participant

Last tool I bought was a scanner (USED Snap On MT2500) sold the cheap new $100. code reader I had and got something I could use to communicate and test my vehicles with. Great investment for me especially since all my vehicles are over 16 years old.

JesseTech2000JesseTech2000
                                Participant

My old trusty O reilly’s fuel pressure gauge go shut in a car door on Tuesday so when the Mac man showed up yesterday I whent ahead and dropped the $500 on the Mac master fuel pressure tester set, and Tuesday morning when the Cornwell guy was there I bought the Mity Vac ATF fill kit so I can service those new sealed transmissions that Lexus, Toyota and Ford have.

JesseTech2000JesseTech2000
                                  Participant

Oh, and my biggest purchase of late was my new to me tripple bay Cornwell box with hutch. Would you believe its all-ready full and I’ve got 2 lockers on order from Northern Tool to put on it. Good thing I kept my old Snap On box.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…