Menu

Welcome to Technicians Only/ Introduce yourself

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Technicians Only Welcome to Technicians Only/ Introduce yourself

Tagged: , , ,

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

This forum is started by suggestion from one of the forum members, SpawnedX. The idea behind it is to have a place where technicians can talk about their experiences and ideas concerning their careers and profession. Think of it as sort of an extension to ETCG1 were we talk about things that concern us and the automotive industry. This is for technicians only so please don’t post automotive questions here. If you are a technician welcome to this forum, if not please stay behind the yellow line. Perhaps we can start by introducing ourselves.

I’m Eric Cook aka EricTheCarGuy. I’ve worked as a professional technician since 1996 and have been an ASE master technician for the past 15 years. I worked for Acura at the dealer for about 8 years and spent the rest of my time working at aftermarket shops on both imports and domestics. I’m also an Acura certified master technician which I got as a result of my training at Acura. For a brief time I ran a Carx after I lost my job at Acura, that was interesting and challenging in many ways but I did work with some good people there and learned a lot about running an automotive business as a result of that experience. Now I have a successful auto repair show on the internet as well as a successful website and forum. To be honest my favorite job so far has been working as ETCG, it seems my entire career including my termination from Acura has led me to this place and I could not be happier with the result. I suppose that just goes to show you never know where you’re going to end up.

Welcome to the Technicians Only forum, I look forward to getting to know you and your work better.

ETCG

Viewing 15 replies - 271 through 285 (of 373 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      DonnyDonny
      Participant

New guy -Donny
        Been turning wrenches for the past 15 years. Mostly commercial stores. I am an anomaly by most standards. I have little interest in cars and definitely am not a gear head. I got hired originally as a sales guy but it turns out the shop manager hired to many sales guys and since he liked my interview he offered me a job turning wrenches. Needed the work and paycheck so I took the offer and told myself that I would give it a year or two to get caught up on things and move on…. 15 years later still saying the same thing. I am good enough to make money at this and care about my customers and enjoy the occasional gratification when you know you helped someone get home from a bad day. Other then that, since the down swing of the industry with both customer attitudes and expectations coupled with employer pay…. the drive to get out is stronger every day.

James O'HaraJames O’Hara
        Participant

Not sure if I posted earlier or not so I figured I should. I am an International Truck Technician. I have every single mandatory and a large portion of the optional training for International Trucks. I went through UTI and graduated at the top of my class A average for Auto/Diesel/Industrial Mechanics. I would have had perfect attendance but, I had taken 2 days off to help a friend deal with an abusive bf. I had my PA State Inspection (Car, Truck, Trailer) and Emissions Licenses but, I moved to VA so they are now obsolete as I have a VA Drivers License and forgot to renew them. I have EPA 608 (I+II+III) and EPA 609 Licenses. I have a Class A CDL with Tanker, Air brakes, and Doubles and Triples Endorsements. I had hazmat before I moved to VA but, upon retaking the test failed it and just haven’t gotten around to getting it again mainly due to the expense and not needing it where I am at currently. I went to International’s ITEP program and got almost everything I needed right off the bat for International Certifications. I have been working as a Diesel Tech for approx 2.5yrs now and love it. I also do side work on friends and families cars mostly. I worked for pepboys for 2 months before going into the ITEP program. I inherited a lot of tools from my father who was a millright mechanic and also from my grandfather and great grandfather on my mothers side. Fixing things is in my dna proofed by my one uncle being an IT guru, my other uncle being an amazing machinist, and my mother being a nurse. Two of my 8 cousins are also mechanics and one of which is also a diesel mechanic. At work I tend to split the hvac and electrical work between me and one other tech. I am still learning but, at a rather rapid speed. HVAC I have all but, mastered currently taking practice tests for that ASE. I have plans to get every truck ASE then Cummins training and then on to automotive ASE certs. Also Murphy has a thing for me he loves me and at times I really really hate him. Before all of this though I went to college and spent 3 yrs at 30k a year on computers and learned nothing while I was there about them. Prior to college I had been fixing them for 10yrs for fun and I was an overclocker and white hat hacker.

James O'HaraJames O’Hara
          Participant

Not sure if I posted earlier or not so I figured I should. I am an International Truck Technician. I have every single mandatory and a large portion of the optional training for International Trucks. I went through UTI and graduated at the top of my class A average for Auto/Diesel/Industrial Mechanics. I would have had perfect attendance but, I had taken 2 days off to help a friend deal with an abusive bf. I had my PA State Inspection (Car, Truck, Trailer) and Emissions Licenses but, I moved to VA so they are now obsolete as I have a VA Drivers License and forgot to renew them. I have EPA 608 (I+II+III) and EPA 609 Licenses. I have a Class A CDL with Tanker, Air brakes, and Doubles and Triples Endorsements. I had hazmat before I moved to VA but, upon retaking the test failed it and just haven’t gotten around to getting it again mainly due to the expense and not needing it where I am at currently. I went to International’s ITEP program and got almost everything I needed right off the bat for International Certifications. I have been working as a Diesel Tech for approx 2.5yrs now and love it. I also do side work on friends and families cars mostly. I worked for pepboys for 2 months before going into the ITEP program. I inherited a lot of tools from my father who was a millright mechanic and also from my grandfather and great grandfather on my mothers side. Fixing things is in my dna proofed by my one uncle being an IT guru, my other uncle being an amazing machinist, and my mother being a nurse. Two of my 8 cousins are also mechanics and one of which is also a diesel mechanic. At work I tend to split the hvac and electrical work between me and one other tech. I am still learning but, at a rather rapid speed. HVAC I have all but, mastered currently taking practice tests for that ASE. I have plans to get every truck ASE then Cummins training and then on to automotive ASE certs. Also Murphy has a thing for me he loves me and at times I really really hate him. Before all of this though I went to college and spent 3 yrs at 30k a year on computers and learned nothing while I was there about them. Prior to college I had been fixing them for 10yrs for fun and I was an overclocker and white hat hacker.

NikeevinNikeevin
            Participant

Ok im new here but i think i can post this here if not im sorry. Im Nikeevin i went to school and completed the course to become an automotive technician in 2013. i did not acquire any certifications during my time in class, and looking around for jobs has been quite difficult. i dont exactly know what my next step should be seeing that everywhere i go im either too young or too inexperienced for them to work with me. i am also a fairly new technician, i do little side jobs like brakes and headgaskets and things of that nature for the time being im just wanting to know any little steps i can do to get further prepared while i seek employment, or any tools i need to grab, etc right now i work out of my trunk with what i have considering my impact was stolen. again im sorry if this is in the wrong place and will relocate it upon request.

NikeevinNikeevin
              Participant

Ok im new here but i think i can post this here if not im sorry. Im Nikeevin i went to school and completed the course to become an automotive technician in 2013. i did not acquire any certifications during my time in class, and looking around for jobs has been quite difficult. i dont exactly know what my next step should be seeing that everywhere i go im either too young or too inexperienced for them to work with me. i am also a fairly new technician, i do little side jobs like brakes and headgaskets and things of that nature for the time being im just wanting to know any little steps i can do to get further prepared while i seek employment, or any tools i need to grab, etc right now i work out of my trunk with what i have considering my impact was stolen. again im sorry if this is in the wrong place and will relocate it upon request.

Greg LGreg L
                Participant

Hi there, new member here. Actually found this site by accident while googling some ASE info. I’ve been in the auto repair industry since 1994, an ASE technician since 1996, an automotive master technician since 1998, and finally took the plunge and earned my L1 in 2012. Also possess a class A cdl since 2005 as well. Currently pondering taking the A9 and moving up to L2, and taking the L3 tests. Worked for a number of years for Midas, even working in management for them as well. Finally in 2012, I parted ways with the big box chain store concept and went to work for an independent. My earnings shot thru the roof, and life has been much nicer. Wished I had done the move long ago. I strive to keep learning, and it has helped. Also possess a general class amateur radio license as well.

Greg LGreg L
                  Participant

Hi there, new member here. Actually found this site by accident while googling some ASE info. I’ve been in the auto repair industry since 1994, an ASE technician since 1996, an automotive master technician since 1998, and finally took the plunge and earned my L1 in 2012. Also possess a class A cdl since 2005 as well. Currently pondering taking the A9 and moving up to L2, and taking the L3 tests. Worked for a number of years for Midas, even working in management for them as well. Finally in 2012, I parted ways with the big box chain store concept and went to work for an independent. My earnings shot thru the roof, and life has been much nicer. Wished I had done the move long ago. I strive to keep learning, and it has helped. Also possess a general class amateur radio license as well.

ShawnShawn
                    Participant

My name is Shawn, and I’m a newer tech. I worked on the lube rack at a GM dealership for 8 months and realized it was going nowhere, so I took an hourly job offer as an apprentice at a local independent shop. Best decision ever! After 2 months, I’ve learned a ton and I’ve replaced a 5.4 engine on a 2003 Expedition 4×4 already. Next step is to take classes at community college during nights after work and get my ASE certs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShawnShawn
                      Participant

My name is Shawn, and I’m a newer tech. I worked on the lube rack at a GM dealership for 8 months and realized it was going nowhere, so I took an hourly job offer as an apprentice at a local independent shop. Best decision ever! After 2 months, I’ve learned a ton and I’ve replaced a 5.4 engine on a 2003 Expedition 4×4 already. Next step is to take classes at community college during nights after work and get my ASE certs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

owenserutiowenseruti
                        Participant

My name is Erik. I grew up here and there fixing my first car a 79 Ford Thunderbird, which I loved, before the journal bearings started going out. Got into the Navy as nd ordnance guy. I last spent half my Naval career working on F/A-18 E & F variants. This is where I got my first handle at technical schematics, multiplex systems for weapons communicatiins, and using multimeter/ test sets. I loved it. I attended UTI in Sacramento after seperating from the military. Got my feet wet and coukd only handle 9 months of loser teens out of high school. I got my first automotive job with Firestone in California. It was awesome because it was hourly and sucked for learning and making money because it was hourly. Fast foward two years and I have three ASE certs and work in Florida flat rate where I make decent money. Still learning and a lot of tthat hasbto do with you Eric mainly and all the other poor souls who did it first on Youtube showing us how to do stuff without paying crazy labor to get it fixed. It also gave me more confidence to go further since Study guides and one time classroom hand on proficiency is not enough to get it right and get that experience needed.

owenserutiowenseruti
                          Participant

My name is Erik. I grew up here and there fixing my first car a 79 Ford Thunderbird, which I loved, before the journal bearings started going out. Got into the Navy as nd ordnance guy. I last spent half my Naval career working on F/A-18 E & F variants. This is where I got my first handle at technical schematics, multiplex systems for weapons communicatiins, and using multimeter/ test sets. I loved it. I attended UTI in Sacramento after seperating from the military. Got my feet wet and coukd only handle 9 months of loser teens out of high school. I got my first automotive job with Firestone in California. It was awesome because it was hourly and sucked for learning and making money because it was hourly. Fast foward two years and I have three ASE certs and work in Florida flat rate where I make decent money. Still learning and a lot of tthat hasbto do with you Eric mainly and all the other poor souls who did it first on Youtube showing us how to do stuff without paying crazy labor to get it fixed. It also gave me more confidence to go further since Study guides and one time classroom hand on proficiency is not enough to get it right and get that experience needed.

sergiosergio
                            Participant

Hello, my name is Sergio..first job I had was at 16 years at one of the big oil change franchises cleaning windows as a courtesy.. this job introduced me to the basic checks of cars but nothing much as far as diagnosing them..I remember buying the manual to diy for my make and model and is how I actually learned how to do brakes and other little things..I really enjoyed working on my own car even though at times I would leave it worse than how it was..after high school I had several full time jobs at warehouses and at other assembly companies..I was going to college taking some welding courses,but not really getting anywhere with that, kind of lost interest..when I was 20, having over 2 years of odd jobs that bored me,although some people and experiences were great, enclosed building for 8 hours or more a day something in me was like, I need to learn a skill that I enjoy and that is going to give me a decent income..I am lucky to have all my life being good at puzzles, math, science, and with hands on work. Automotive tech just stood out to me so I decided to look for schools..Ended up going to UTI,took automotive, diesel, Ford Training. I have over 4 years at a Ford Dealership and I am really happy with the career choices ive made as of now..Its the best job ive had so far and enjoy the work, but like any other job it has its bad days..Ive been watching some of the etcg videos in the past years and just want to say thank you Eric for your videos, specially your discussion ones..they speak the truth about this field and make me feel like as auto techs someone gets what we go through on a daily basis

sergiosergio
                              Participant

Hello, my name is Sergio..first job I had was at 16 years at one of the big oil change franchises cleaning windows as a courtesy.. this job introduced me to the basic checks of cars but nothing much as far as diagnosing them..I remember buying the manual to diy for my make and model and is how I actually learned how to do brakes and other little things..I really enjoyed working on my own car even though at times I would leave it worse than how it was..after high school I had several full time jobs at warehouses and at other assembly companies..I was going to college taking some welding courses,but not really getting anywhere with that, kind of lost interest..when I was 20, having over 2 years of odd jobs that bored me,although some people and experiences were great, enclosed building for 8 hours or more a day something in me was like, I need to learn a skill that I enjoy and that is going to give me a decent income..I am lucky to have all my life being good at puzzles, math, science, and with hands on work. Automotive tech just stood out to me so I decided to look for schools..Ended up going to UTI,took automotive, diesel, Ford Training. I have over 4 years at a Ford Dealership and I am really happy with the career choices ive made as of now..Its the best job ive had so far and enjoy the work, but like any other job it has its bad days..Ive been watching some of the etcg videos in the past years and just want to say thank you Eric for your videos, specially your discussion ones..they speak the truth about this field and make me feel like as auto techs someone gets what we go through on a daily basis

Andrew ButtonAndrew Button
                                Participant

Greetings Fellow Techs ! I have been addicted to Erics videos and there is always some new tip or trick to learn, no matter how old or seasoned we may think we are. Here is my story/intro. I got my start in mechanics when the corner shop was the place you went to get your car tuned. No OBD, no datalink, no cans, no ecms, just machinery and 12 volts here and there. Heck, some of those guys didn’t even like HEI distributors. Within 3 blocks of my home were 3 entirely separate fully equipt shops/service stations with inground hoists, tire machines, and even new tires for sale. Safety inspections and tires were alot of what they did, but with a little interest, one could often times gather new knowledge or maybe even a part time gig as a helper with little sweet talking. This was a time time when the techs would have to pull themselves from the job they were doing to pump somebody’s gas or maybe check tires. They were not called TECHS then, more like just Joe or Jerry the mechanic/station attendant. Those shops had a certain smell to them, and some had things thrown on the pavement to make a bell ring so the guy inside could come and check oil or pump gas. I digress. What got me into the automotive field was something quite different than what goes on today. Before muscle cars became commodities traded by the wealthy, they used to hang around neighboorhoods like fresh fruit waiting to be picked, usually very cheaply. A quick ride in a 409, big solid lifter Rat, or something of the likes and it would turn any kid with a mechanical aptitude into car lover quite young. Headers and big carbs were a rite of passage, and dual carburetors put you right at the top of the car heap so to speak. In order to have one maintain this tetra-ethyl lead filled dream of many youth, there was something that went along with that and it was a way to fix it. Thus many of us became mechanics by way of passion, or need because we couldn’t be be paying Jerry the mechanic to adjust our dual carbs weekly, just wasn’t gonna happen. I am not ASE certified as that wasn’t part of the equasion back then, nor will I ever be as the things I repair now are specialty cars and the latest training would have little relevance to my field of work. For a young tech, ASE is, of course essential, however everybody has different needs. As I have seen the car evolve for decades I see many of my peers retiring, or worse, and certain trades are lost with them. As I see this trend of younger computer/car guys replacing my peers I see an emerging hole in the service market for guys with knowledge of older cars. I am not talking about somebody who races a 9 second camaro and wants to make everything fast, I mean a technician who can keep an expensive GTO or Chevelle with points and a quadrajet and other STOCK parts or whatever on the road for somebody who doesn’t want to modify it. Old cars with modern fuel injection are something many folks read about, but its really not the norm and really not conventional due to cost and upkeep. I was one of the first grease monkeys anywhere to fit a full working EFI in a very old car using all OEM components and there are SO many problems with that concept, the Hot Rodding magazines don’t fill one in on. Back then there was no “PAINLESS” Back to my point. I think EVERY young technician should learn as much about carbs and points as they can. Learn what makes a 442 something different than a delta 88. Learn the real meaning of SS, not todays version of it. Grab every old service manual you can. The old cars they are getting more expensive an often times the well healed owners are willing to pay good money to have them run like they did when they were new, IF they could find the person that knows how to work on them. Priuses, and back up cameras, and all the modern fluff will come go, but a GTO or something of that ilk will be preserved. This came to me one day as I was supertuning a Quadrajet. Something that at one time was as common as the sunrise, but now thrown into the depths of obscurity and I was having a heckuva time even getting the right parts and the few experts on these carbs that actually rebuild them are backlogged for at least a year, and EXPENSIVE to have done, and so it made me think that there is growing need for this type of “TECH”. I have yet to have to have owned or seen very many muscle cars or vintage equipment that was really sharply tuned as this is a very lost art. I diagnosed a performance issue on a very expensive red white and blue Rebel Machine with a 390, and the previous owner had installed a rebuilt motor with cam, and headers, and other performance goodies, but overlooked the throttle opening and timing issues. Wow was all I could say. Which leads me to this last thought. How many younger people think old cars are slow because 9 out of 10 of them are tuned wrong ? Thats my experience/rant. Nice meeting y’all

Andrew ButtonAndrew Button
                                  Participant

Greetings Fellow Techs ! I have been addicted to Erics videos and there is always some new tip or trick to learn, no matter how old or seasoned we may think we are. Here is my story/intro. I got my start in mechanics when the corner shop was the place you went to get your car tuned. No OBD, no datalink, no cans, no ecms, just machinery and 12 volts here and there. Heck, some of those guys didn’t even like HEI distributors. Within 3 blocks of my home were 3 entirely separate fully equipt shops/service stations with inground hoists, tire machines, and even new tires for sale. Safety inspections and tires were alot of what they did, but with a little interest, one could often times gather new knowledge or maybe even a part time gig as a helper with little sweet talking. This was a time time when the techs would have to pull themselves from the job they were doing to pump somebody’s gas or maybe check tires. They were not called TECHS then, more like just Joe or Jerry the mechanic/station attendant. Those shops had a certain smell to them, and some had things thrown on the pavement to make a bell ring so the guy inside could come and check oil or pump gas. I digress. What got me into the automotive field was something quite different than what goes on today. Before muscle cars became commodities traded by the wealthy, they used to hang around neighboorhoods like fresh fruit waiting to be picked, usually very cheaply. A quick ride in a 409, big solid lifter Rat, or something of the likes and it would turn any kid with a mechanical aptitude into car lover quite young. Headers and big carbs were a rite of passage, and dual carburetors put you right at the top of the car heap so to speak. In order to have one maintain this tetra-ethyl lead filled dream of many youth, there was something that went along with that and it was a way to fix it. Thus many of us became mechanics by way of passion, or need because we couldn’t be be paying Jerry the mechanic to adjust our dual carbs weekly, just wasn’t gonna happen. I am not ASE certified as that wasn’t part of the equasion back then, nor will I ever be as the things I repair now are specialty cars and the latest training would have little relevance to my field of work. For a young tech, ASE is, of course essential, however everybody has different needs. As I have seen the car evolve for decades I see many of my peers retiring, or worse, and certain trades are lost with them. As I see this trend of younger computer/car guys replacing my peers I see an emerging hole in the service market for guys with knowledge of older cars. I am not talking about somebody who races a 9 second camaro and wants to make everything fast, I mean a technician who can keep an expensive GTO or Chevelle with points and a quadrajet and other STOCK parts or whatever on the road for somebody who doesn’t want to modify it. Old cars with modern fuel injection are something many folks read about, but its really not the norm and really not conventional due to cost and upkeep. I was one of the first grease monkeys anywhere to fit a full working EFI in a very old car using all OEM components and there are SO many problems with that concept, the Hot Rodding magazines don’t fill one in on. Back then there was no “PAINLESS” Back to my point. I think EVERY young technician should learn as much about carbs and points as they can. Learn what makes a 442 something different than a delta 88. Learn the real meaning of SS, not todays version of it. Grab every old service manual you can. The old cars they are getting more expensive an often times the well healed owners are willing to pay good money to have them run like they did when they were new, IF they could find the person that knows how to work on them. Priuses, and back up cameras, and all the modern fluff will come go, but a GTO or something of that ilk will be preserved. This came to me one day as I was supertuning a Quadrajet. Something that at one time was as common as the sunrise, but now thrown into the depths of obscurity and I was having a heckuva time even getting the right parts and the few experts on these carbs that actually rebuild them are backlogged for at least a year, and EXPENSIVE to have done, and so it made me think that there is growing need for this type of “TECH”. I have yet to have to have owned or seen very many muscle cars or vintage equipment that was really sharply tuned as this is a very lost art. I diagnosed a performance issue on a very expensive red white and blue Rebel Machine with a 390, and the previous owner had installed a rebuilt motor with cam, and headers, and other performance goodies, but overlooked the throttle opening and timing issues. Wow was all I could say. Which leads me to this last thought. How many younger people think old cars are slow because 9 out of 10 of them are tuned wrong ? Thats my experience/rant. Nice meeting y’all

Viewing 15 replies - 271 through 285 (of 373 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…
                                  https://mothersrestaurant.net/ https://www.davisvanguard.org/ https://el-supermercado.com/ https://www.semiaccurate.com/ https://blackthornk9.com/ https://www.hb-hautsdefrance.com/ https://www.lowerkeyschamber.com/ https://www.hb-hautsdefrance.com/ https://www.structuralguide.com/ https://batelskitchen.com/ https://mothersrestaurant.net/ http://www.dolomite-microfluidics.com/ https://mbkm.unimen.ac.id/-/greate/ https://mbkm.unimen.ac.id/-/logdata/ https://adv.nishinippon.co.jp/
                                  slot gacor monperatoto slot gacor slot gacor gampang menang monperatoto monperatoto monperatoto monperatoto monperatoto monperatoto monperatoto
                                  slot gacor hari ini
                                  monperatoto
                                  monperatoto
                                  toto togel
                                  toto slot
                                  pengeluaran macau
                                  situs togel
                                  monperatoto
                                  bandar togel
                                  monperatoto
                                  bandar togel
                                  monperatoto