Menu

I do not know the problem

• Creator
    Topic
    EdFiggyEdFiggy
    Participant

1997 Honda Accord LX 2.2L 4cyl engine

It has 156k miles but runs good.

I’m not sure if this is the cause of the problem i’m having, but when i start my car (cold…morning, sitting there for a while etc..) My engine sometimes shakes and then after a second it will fire right up, but when i look under the hood, the spark plug wire that goes into the spark plug well or what ever it is called wont stay in, it isn’t out but it does not stay in, (there is also oil on that rubber part in the well) but would that loose spark plug wire cause my engine to shake like it does, i have 0 knowledge on mechanic stuff so, if you have an idea i would greatly appreciate it.. thanks.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EdFiggyEdFiggy
      Participant

[quote=”Mishakol129″ post=33472][quote=”ohemgeeman” post=33469][quote=”Mishakol129″ post=33467][quote=”ohemgeeman” post=33465]I took it to the dealer and asked how much it would cost to fix the oil pan thing and they were trying to charge me 250$, which to me sounds ridiculous, i just don’t know any mechanics around my area that are trustworthy.[/quote]

That’s not such a bad price if they do everything right. Was that just for the gasket right? It took me 4 hours to put mine on.

Like I said though, make sure where the leak is coming from. If you are low on cash you can do 2 things; check and see exactly HOW MUCH oil you are losing from the leak and see how long you can go without doing the job (see if you can prolong); or 2, take the liberty of doing the job yourself.

Where do you live man, its 2 AM where I am now.[/quote]
        I’m in southern California, i just bought this car a week ago, i just got my license a week ago, i am only 18 and i am just now finding out all these costs, i have a decent paying job its just, i have other things i need to pay for, and they wanted 105$ to find where the leak was(That is just a base price) and then somewhere around 250$ to fix it depending on how to fix it, not to mention thats not my only problem, the problem with my spark plugs i kinda was able to fix myself, i guess you need to apply a little pressure to get the spark plug wires into the wells so they “snap in” i guess, sorry if that seemed like a stupid thing not to know, but my engine fires up just fine and doesn’t shake, but there is still the oil leak and oil on the ends of the rubber wires.[/quote]

Wow, you’re very young. I am 22. Instead of paying 105$ for them to find the leak, buy some jack stands, a jack, and a manual for your vehicle. I recommend getting a Haynes manual, you can find them at the auto parts store. OR, even better and for free, you can download the OFFICIAL Honda manual for your model. All you need now is a working printer and with the right tools you can fix anything on your car.

Here is the link:

http://www.pdfasal.com/auto/1994-1997-honda-accord-service-manual.html

To download it, you want to scroll down to where it says “download”, then right click on on the file and select “save link as”. Then allow the 49 MB file to download.

Open it up and you will be filled with great understanding about your vehicle. No repair will be impossible with the right tools. It lays it out with diagrams so it doesn’t seem hard at all. Its so easy with the official manual.[/quote]
        I have the original manual

W00DBar0nW00DBar0n
        Participant

[quote=”ohemgeeman” post=33474][quote=”Mishakol129″ post=33472][quote=”ohemgeeman” post=33469][quote=”Mishakol129″ post=33467][quote=”ohemgeeman” post=33465]I took it to the dealer and asked how much it would cost to fix the oil pan thing and they were trying to charge me 250$, which to me sounds ridiculous, i just don’t know any mechanics around my area that are trustworthy.[/quote]

That’s not such a bad price if they do everything right. Was that just for the gasket right? It took me 4 hours to put mine on.

Like I said though, make sure where the leak is coming from. If you are low on cash you can do 2 things; check and see exactly HOW MUCH oil you are losing from the leak and see how long you can go without doing the job (see if you can prolong); or 2, take the liberty of doing the job yourself.

I’m in southern California, i just bought this car a week ago, i just got my license a week ago, i am only 18 and i am just now finding out all these costs, i have a decent paying job its just, i have other things i need to pay for, and they wanted 105$ to find where the leak was(That is just a base price) and then somewhere around 250$ to fix it depending on how to fix it, not to mention thats not my only problem, the problem with my spark plugs i kinda was able to fix myself, i guess you need to apply a little pressure to get the spark plug wires into the wells so they “snap in” i guess, sorry if that seemed like a stupid thing not to know, but my engine fires up just fine and doesn’t shake, but there is still the oil leak and oil on the ends of the rubber wires.[/quote]

Wow, you’re very young. I am 22. Instead of paying 105$ for them to find the leak, buy some jack stands, a jack, and a manual for your vehicle. I recommend getting a Haynes manual, you can find them at the auto parts store. OR, even better and for free, you can download the OFFICIAL Honda manual for your model. All you need now is a working printer and with the right tools you can fix anything on your car.

Here is the link:

To download it, you want to scroll down to where it says “download”, then right click on on the file and select “save link as”. Then allow the 49 MB file to download.

Open it up and you will be filled with great understanding about your vehicle. No repair will be impossible with the right tools. It lays it out with diagrams so it doesn’t seem hard at all. Its so easy with the official manual.[/quote]
          I have the original manual[/quote]
          A service manual?
          A service manual and an owners manual are two different things, just letting you know if you did not know.

EdFiggyEdFiggy
          Participant

[quote=”W00DBar0n” post=33475][quote=”ohemgeeman” post=33474][quote=”Mishakol129″ post=33472][quote=”ohemgeeman” post=33469][quote=”Mishakol129″ post=33467][quote=”ohemgeeman” post=33465]I took it to the dealer and asked how much it would cost to fix the oil pan thing and they were trying to charge me 250$, which to me sounds ridiculous, i just don’t know any mechanics around my area that are trustworthy.[/quote]

Here is the link:

I have the original manual[/quote]
            A service manual?
            A service manual and an owners manual are two different things, just letting you know if you did not know.[/quote]
            I’m not sure which one it is, i would have to look.

EdFiggyEdFiggy
            Participant

And what exactly is the manual for?

MikhailMikhail
              Participant

[quote=”ohemgeeman” post=33477]And what exactly is the manual for?[/quote]

Download it and open it up to find out. You really have no idea of what i’m talking about.

I’m not stupid bro, I know what i’m talking about when it comes to Honda manuals. I wasn’t talking about the owners manual but the service manual.

It is the service manual for honda technicians, the OFFICIAL manual. Use it to fix your car. :stick:

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                Participant

Here is a video that Eric made on Factory Service Manuals –

They are worth there weight in gold if you do not have access to other programs such as Alldata and so forth.

As for your oil leak, you will need to clean the engine with degreaser to try and isolate the leak.

If we have customers where i work complain of an oil leak and there entire underside of there engine is covered in oil seepage, we recommend a ‘wash down’ and send the customer on there way and have them return in a few days.

Now as for the cost in vehicle repairs, welcome to the world of vehicle ownership. Most ‘shops’ will charge around $100 for labor rate so that is to be expected. Before taking your vehicle in anywhere, i would try to research some ‘shops’ in your area for reviews.

If you take it to a independent repair facility, make sure there techs are at least ASE certified.

Good job on fixing your issue with your ignition wire!

Keep us posted.

EdFiggyEdFiggy
                  Participant

[quote=”Mishakol129″ post=33478][quote=”ohemgeeman” post=33477]And what exactly is the manual for?[/quote]

Download it and open it up to find out. You really have no idea of what i’m talking about.

I’m not stupid bro, I know what i’m talking about when it comes to Honda manuals. I wasn’t talking about the owners manual but the service manual.

It is the service manual for honda technicians, the OFFICIAL manual. Use it to fix your car. :stick:[/quote]
                    I wasn’t questioning your knowledge, i just wasn’t sure what i needed the manual for, but i see why now and thank you.

EdFiggyEdFiggy
                    Participant

[quote=”dreamer2355″ post=33499]Here is a video that Eric made on Factory Service Manuals –

They are worth there weight in gold if you do not have access to other programs such as Alldata and so forth.

As for your oil leak, you will need to clean the engine with degreaser to try and isolate the leak.

If we have customers where i work complain of an oil leak and there entire underside of there engine is covered in oil seepage, we recommend a ‘wash down’ and send the customer on there way and have them return in a few days.

Now as for the cost in vehicle repairs, welcome to the world of vehicle ownership. Most ‘shops’ will charge around $100 for labor rate so that is to be expected. Before taking your vehicle in anywhere, i would try to research some ‘shops’ in your area for reviews.

If you take it to a independent repair facility, make sure there techs are at least ASE certified.

Keep us posted.[/quote]
                      When you say a “wash down”, is that something i can do myself? And what would i use to clean the engine with, can i use the degreaser to wipe down all the things in my engine compartment? Or is there other things i need to wipe down other parts?

MikhailMikhail
                      Participant

[quote=”ohemgeeman” post=33530][quote=”dreamer2355″ post=33499]Here is a video that Eric made on Factory Service Manuals –

Keep us posted.[/quote]
                        When you say a “wash down”, is that something i can do myself? And what would i use to clean the engine with, can i use the degreaser to wipe down all the things in my engine compartment? Or is there other things i need to wipe down other parts?[/quote]

You can do a wash down if you get the right equipment. All you need is a level surface, 2 jack stands… and a jack. You can get these at Autozone for only 59.99.

1Duralast/2 1/4 Ton jack and stand kit

If there is heavy sludge, definitely use engine degreaser, carb cleaner, or brake cleaner. Don’t get it in your eyes though.

Clean off areas where you see any oil or residue built up, especially if the spill looks fresh.

MikhailMikhail
                        Participant

[quote=”dreamer2355″ post=33499]Here is a video that Eric made on Factory Service Manuals –

e

Keep us posted.[/quote]

100$ an hour for labor is expensive. Where I am 55$ an hour is normal.

Be prepared to fork over some cash. I remember a couple years ago where I spent nearly 1000$ one winter taking my accord to the mechanic. The mechanic I went to didn’t even fix the one major problem I was having, he couldn’t diagnose it. He just replaced what might have been the problem.

So now I am like, “forget going to mechanics, I don’t need to put myself at their mercy for my 20 year old car.” I do all my mechanic work now and have even just rebuilt (overhauled) my accord by myself. 2 years of home mechanic work did me good.

PaulPaul
                          Participant

[quote=”Mishakol129″ post=33557]
                            100$ an hour for labor is expensive. Where I am 55$ an hour is normal.

Be prepared to fork over some cash. I remember a couple years ago where I spent nearly 1000$ one winter taking my accord to the mechanic. The mechanic I went to didn’t even fix the one major problem I was having, he couldn’t diagnose it. He just replaced what might have been the problem.

So now I am like, “forget going to mechanics, I don’t need to put myself at their mercy for my 20 year old car.” I do all my mechanic work now and have even just rebuilt (overhauled) my accord by myself. 2 years of home mechanic work did me good.[/quote]

I agreed. My Honda dealer wants $1200 to change the timing belt and water pump for my 21 years old 91 Civic with 62,000Km. I will be changing the timing belt and water pump myself in couple of weeks. I have two other cars. I can afford to have my Civic sitting in my garage while waiting for help from this forum if I have questions during the timing belt work.

EdFiggyEdFiggy
                            Participant

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZwt_QMaCS0[/video]
                              I know i said i fixed my wire problem, but i think i spoke to soon. There were 2 doing it, i got them both in(so i thought) now one of them isn’t staying in anymore. Please excuse my stupidity on naming some of these things, i think i call the valve cover my engine but thats not that point.

MikhailMikhail
                              Participant

[quote=”ohemgeeman” post=33565][video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZwt_QMaCS0[/video]
                                I know i said i fixed my wire problem, but i think i spoke to soon. There were 2 doing it, i got them both in(so i thought) now one of them isn’t staying in anymore. Please excuse my stupidity on naming some of these things, i think i call the valve cover my engine but thats not that point.[/quote]

Did you replace the wires? No oil on the plugs a good sign.
                                By the looks of the video it seems you don’t put the wire back in it all the way; you got to twist it back and forth and push down. Does the wire lock into place like the others do or is it loose fitting? If so then you need to replace the wire cause its worn out.

That black soot on you valve cover is nothing to be concerned about since its not fresh. Clean it up anyways. Look for only what looks like fresh oil leaks. If its not fresh its not a leak its a spill.

EdFiggyEdFiggy
                                Participant

[quote=”Mishakol129″ post=33570][quote=”ohemgeeman” post=33565][video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZwt_QMaCS0[/video]
                                  I know i said i fixed my wire problem, but i think i spoke to soon. There were 2 doing it, i got them both in(so i thought) now one of them isn’t staying in anymore. Please excuse my stupidity on naming some of these things, i think i call the valve cover my engine but thats not that point.[/quote]

By the looks of the video it seems you don’t put the wire back in it all the way; you got to twist it back and forth and push down. Does the wire lock into place like the others do or is it loose fitting? If so then you need to replace the wire cause its worn out.

That black soot on you valve cover is nothing to be concerned about since its not fresh. Clean it up anyways. Look for only what looks like fresh oil leaks. If its not fresh its not a leak its a spill.[/quote]
                                  [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHx0MLoMbTE[/video]
                                  There IS oil on the one next to that loose wire though, and i tried twisting and pushing, it just wont go in snug, and i just took another video of what i meant when the oil is crusted in other places and i want to know how to get it off.

MikhailMikhail
                                  Participant

[quote=”ohemgeeman” post=33573][quote=”Mishakol129″ post=33570][quote=”ohemgeeman” post=33565][video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZwt_QMaCS0[/video]

That black soot on you valve cover is nothing to be concerned about since its not fresh. Clean it up anyways. Look for only what looks like fresh oil leaks. If its not fresh its not a leak its a spill.[/quote]
                                    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHx0MLoMbTE[/video]
                                    There IS oil on the one next to that loose wire though, and i tried twisting and pushing, it just wont go in snug, and i just took another video of what i meant when the oil is crusted in other places and i want to know how to get it off.[/quote]

Okay, then you should replace your wires then if that is the case.

What you should do if you notice a leak of oil is check the oil level on the dipstick and see how much you are actually losing. If its not leaking all that badly then don’t worry about it, focus on 1 thing at a time. That “thing” on the left side of your engine in the video is the automatic transmission. That may also be leaking fluid (automatic transmission fluid). You should check that dipstick as well, it is locate on the left bottom side of the engine bay, it looks like this:

Check the fluid level for correct level, also if it is brown or black or smells burnt, you should perform a ATF (automatic transmission fluid) drain and refill right away.

Like I said though, if its not causing you immediate trouble, don’t worry about. Check the levels on the 2 dipsticks and then fix the spark wire problem. Make sure you are on a level driveway when checking the fluid levels.

If you really want to fix the oil leak problem, you have to clean up the mess first. We already told you, I said to get that jack stand kit from Autozone. I’ve already given you advice about finding where its leaking from.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…
                                  https://mothersrestaurant.net/ https://www.davisvanguard.org/ https://el-supermercado.com/ https://www.semiaccurate.com/ https://blackthornk9.com/ https://www.hb-hautsdefrance.com/ https://www.lowerkeyschamber.com/ https://www.hb-hautsdefrance.com/ https://www.structuralguide.com/ https://batelskitchen.com/ https://mothersrestaurant.net/ http://www.dolomite-microfluidics.com/ https://mbkm.unimen.ac.id/-/greate/ https://mbkm.unimen.ac.id/-/logdata/ https://adv.nishinippon.co.jp/
                                  slot gacor monperatoto slot gacor slot gacor gampang menang monperatoto monperatoto monperatoto monperatoto monperatoto monperatoto monperatoto
                                  slot gacor hari ini
                                  monperatoto
                                  monperatoto
                                  toto togel
                                  toto slot
                                  pengeluaran macau
                                  situs togel
                                  monperatoto
                                  bandar togel
                                  monperatoto
                                  bandar togel
                                  monperatoto