Menu

1997 Altima – exhaust problems, lots of them

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 1997 Altima – exhaust problems, lots of them

• Creator
    Topic
    CliffCliff
    Participant

Hey all,

Longtime watcher of Eric’s videos here, and I can’t seem to figure my problem out. I reached the edge of my knowledge, watched some of his videos and learned a bit more, but I’m stuck again. Since I’ve got an older car that I work on pretty often, I figured I should finally just register for the forum community and see if I can learn some more. I have no formal training, but I can read a manual and know my way around a toolbox with no issues taking things apart and then putting them back together. So here’s the rundown (apologies, it’s going to get a bit long as this is a bit of saga):

1997 Altima GXE – standard issue, no mechanical or trim customization
      2.4L 4-cylinder automatic
      162,000 miles

I found this ETCG video which helped me eliminate some causes:

Last July, it began to stall out every so often. It had probably been running a little rough for some time before that, but I may not have noticed – it’s been a while since the problem began. My Check Engine light never came on. The problem felt like a misfire – jerky acceleration, sputtering and rough idle, and the occasional stall while idling. I bought the car at 111,000 miles and the mileage was up to 152,000 when the problem began and the plugs hadn’t been replaced since 110,000. So I checked them, they seemed to work OK when tested but were dirty enough that I couldn’t tell if they were corroded, so I replaced the plugs/wires. No change in performance.

Next up, I checked the distributor cap and ignition rotor – no carbon streaks on the cap, and the terminals looked OK. I brushed what little buildup there was off of them. The problem persisted, so at this point I’m thinking it’s fuel or air. Again, no check engine light is on so I have no idea yet.

Fuel filter is a cheap part and I knew the original one from 1997 was still in there, so I replaced it. That wasn’t it either, and at this point I’m just dealing with the car running awfully – gas mileage down to about 18 MPG from a normal 23 MPG for my usage. Then it starts behaving mostly normal for a few months, until last October when it gets really bad. It would stall out almost all the time at stoplights, and have poor performance even at highway speeds, with jerking acceleration and surging. After a stall, when I got it restarted, it would smell like a go-cart. Nowadays after a particularly bad stall, it can take over a minute to restart as the engine sounds starved and once it does, a cloud of smoke comes out of the tailpipe and it REALLY smells – more like fuel than like sulfur, but it’s hard to tell exactly what I’m smelling.

Last month, I got sick of trying to troubleshoot it on my own and took it to a mechanic. They found and repaired an air leak in one of my intake manifolds, which I could actually hear but didn’t have the time or daylight to fix myself during the winter. They also replaced another vacuum hose but did not tell me where, and my knock sensor (the check engine light came on the day before I took it in for repairs, and it was the knock sensor code). However, the problem persisted! Still no check engine light related to the issue. I took it back to the mechanic and they told me it was the MAF sensor. Being unwilling to pay $200 for a part I could get for $45 online, I decided to do it myself. I put the new MAF sensor in and the vehicle wouldn’t even stay running after 3 seconds, so I put the old one back in to get back to where I started. Visually checking the MAF, it appears to be fine and not dirty. The air filter is also pretty clean. I checked the harness connector for the MAF, and got 26 Volts – this seemed to be really high, but the repair manual just says that I should get a reading, any reading.

I checked my fuel injectors next (following the ETCG video, of course), and they all clocked in at 11.6 or 11.7 Ohms, which is normal. Unplugging the connectors to the injectors makes the engine perform worse for each one, so I’m pretty sure it isn’t an injector. We’ll call it 98% sure.

This gets me to thinking it’s a dirty throttle plate, and while researching that I discover the EGR valve. I take that off first as my throttle body is somewhat hard to get to. The EGR valve is absolutely caked in black carbon, so I clean it out really good, including the little mount that it connects to. Really dirty work! I didn’t get it perfect, but I wanted to see if there would be a change with as much black crud as I took out of it. The valve does hold a vacuum and the plunger moves/returns when I depress by hand. I also cleaned the throttle, but it wasn’t very dirty to begin with. I put it all back together and…. the problem persisted.

However, this time I got a check engine light. The code is P0400 and P0302, which means exhaust and multiple misfire. The repair manual has checks for me to do for these codes, and I’ve tried the first one which involves manually checking the EGR valve while revving the engine from 2000 to 4000 RPM. The plunger does not move, and when I depress it by hand while the engine is running I can stall out the engine. The repair manual says that this means I should replace the valve, however if there is no vacuum leak and the plunger doesn’t get stuck when I manually depress, shouldn’t this be fine? There is a solenoid valve that controls the EGR… but I have not been able to test it and am in fact a bit confused at this part.

A friend of mine suspects it could be the catalytic converter, but I’d like to stay focused on the EGR valve and EGRC-BPT for the moment as that’s what the error code refers to. There is a separate error code for the cat., which is P0402. I suspect my cat. is welded on rather than bolted/clamped, and I don’t have the tools to deal with that right now.

Any insight, tips, or links appreciated! Near as I can tell, I have it narrowed down to an exhaust problem of some kind, where exhaust is building up in the engine and choking it. I need to maintain pressure on the accelerator to prevent stalls, and sometimes pumping the accelerator will temporarily clear the problem (for a few seconds to a few minutes, at random).

TL;DR / summary:

Vehicle is stalling frequently at low RPMs, typically not until operating temperature has been reached, and has a smell while sputtering or restarting from a stall. I need to keep my foot on the accelerator quite often in order to prevent the vehicle from stalling out while driving in traffic, which is less than ideal and not very safe. Repair measures taken:
      -replaced spark plugs/wires
      -confirmed condition of distributor cap/rotor
      -fixed intake manifold leak
      -checked resistance on fuel injectors
      -replaced fuel filter
      -checked MAF connector voltage, and visually inspected MAF
      -swapped MAF with OEM part and problem got worse, vehicle actually runs with old MAF installed
      -checked vacuum on EGR valve and cleaned EGR valve

DTC given is P0400 and P0302, but only recently.

Tools available to me:
      -basic wrenches/sockets
      -OBD II scanner arrives Tuesday/Wednesday of this week
      -multimeter
      -anything you can get from an auto parts store

I can provide reference to the repair manual (including screenshots/images) also.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      CliffCliff
      Participant

Here is a screenshot from my repair manual. The diagram is obviously a concept diagram (I don’t know the technical term for it) of the system, and not actually what the engine looks like. The place I’ve circled corresponds, I believe, to what comes just after where the EGR valve attaches on my manifold (the spot with the black holes in my previous pictures). I do remember that I would get multiple cylinder misfire codes, as well as specific cylinder misfire codes, so there has to be a place where the EGR tubes split somewhere inside the manifold, right?

I need to get some pipe cleaners, yeah? I saw a YouTube where one guy was using throttle cable and a power drill… :ohmy:

Here’s one of the previous pics again with very poor mouse-drawn arrows on it. Does anyone know at what point it becomes 4 separate tubes?

CliffCliff
        Participant

I’ve been doing a lot of googling the past few hours, and I just came across this thread:
          http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/general-nissan-altima-discussion-1993-2001/323852-1998-altima-intake-manifold-gasket-replacement.html

The OP there says:

My problem area is the EGR passages. the two outers are open but the two inner ones are not. I noticed what appears to be pipe plugs threaded into the underside of the intake manifold at about the same area opisite the EGR passages. can I just remove these plugs to access the back side of the EGR passages?

I know the 1998 Altima engine is very similar to my 1997 (my roommate had one 3 years ago and we, well I, worked on it a bit), so the plugs should be in the same spot, yes? If I can locate them, perhaps I don’t need to get the manifold off after all? This is some journey…

Timothy SalomonTimothy Salomon
          Participant

The Altima intake manifold is very difficult to remove, though Eric makes it look manageable in a video on replacing the intake gasket.

If you got the egr pipe and valve off, you have your problem in hand. The valve gets clogged up and starts to leak or get stuck.
            You cant gain easy access to the inside of the manifold, but truck/pathfinder/240sx owners can because they dont have the same clearance issues with the firewall and could easily access these plugs. As an Altima owner, if you want the manifold off, you need to remove it while still attached to the head. Plan on a head gasket, because there’s not enough clearance between the fire wall and the engine to get it past the intake manifold studs.
            Given this level of difficulty, I’d try cleaning up the valve and egr pipe and testing the back pressure transducer (keeps the egr from opening when it’s not supposed to and looks a lot like the inverted saucer egr valve) as well as the egr solenoid mounted on the passenger end of the hard vacuum lines that run ontop of the intake manifold.

CliffCliff
            Participant

[quote=”Timothy S” post=164471]The Altima intake manifold is very difficult to remove, though Eric makes it look manageable in a video on replacing the intake gasket.

If you got the egr pipe and valve off, you have your problem in hand. The valve gets clogged up and starts to leak or get stuck.
              You cant gain easy access to the inside of the manifold, but truck/pathfinder/240sx owners can because they dont have the same clearance issues with the firewall and could easily access these plugs. As an Altima owner, if you want the manifold off, you need to remove it while still attached to the head. Plan on a head gasket, because there’s not enough clearance between the fire wall and the engine to get it past the intake manifold studs.
              Given this level of difficulty, I’d try cleaning up the valve and egr pipe and testing the back pressure transducer (keeps the egr from opening when it’s not supposed to and looks a lot like the inverted saucer egr valve) as well as the egr solenoid mounted on the passenger end of the hard vacuum lines that run ontop of the intake manifold.[/quote]

I don’t know how I never watched that video before, as I watched the precursor video to that one where he diagnosed the problem (which really helped me narrow it down to the EGR).

Unfortunately, the Altima doesn’t have an EGR pipe. If there’s anything like the pipe the Maxima has, it’s actually built into the structure of the intake manifold. After reading about the plug bolts, I went out and looked again (even though it’s late). I may have identified them? These are exactly in line with each other, and there may be a tube running between them. It’s also about the same level as what I think is the very bottom of the chamber that leads to the EGR valve itself. So I think the EGR air goes up into the valve, then down into this tube that distributes it to all 4 cylinder intakes. I’ve temporarily lifted the fuel rail with the injectors out of the way here for clarity.

I think I can get to these plugs, but I don’t currently have the hardware to undo them. Shouldn’t cost too much for something that fits, right? Then, if this is a big pipe for the EGR, I’ll need to get some loooooong brushes. To recap, I’ve actually already replaced the EGR valve itself as well as what I think you’re calling the transducer (it’s a disc- or saucer-looking thing that connects to the EGR valve, and is not the solenoid).

Participant

You have removed the egr pipe with the valve. It connects to the exhaust manifold and loops around the engine under the distributor. The cast in passage for the egr appears to exactly where you indicated on your picture of the intake manifold. If I remember from my ’98 Altima the plugs have a hex head, but I never needed to remove them. Maybe try a large hex bit for a 3/8 drive ratchet and pray the corroded aluminum plugs don’t strip or round off.

CliffCliff
                Participant

[quote=”Timothy S” post=164475]You have removed the egr pipe with the valve. It connects to the exhaust manifold and loops around the engine under the distributor. The cast in passage for the egr appears to exactly where you indicated on your picture of the intake manifold. If I remember from my ’98 Altima the plugs have a hex head, but I never needed to remove them. Maybe try a large hex bit for a 3/8 drive ratchet and pray the corroded aluminum plugs don’t strip or round off.[/quote]

I actually had to go outside again and check, as I didn’t remember my car having the pipe that Eric talks about and shows around 5:35 in that video. Sure enough, there it is and I can see that it’s connected to the manifold with a pair of 10mm bolts. I’ll take that off tomorrow. It’s not really anywhere near the EGR valve itself, at least not obviously so. Without that video showing me where it was, I never would have found it. Unfortunately, the big nut that attaches to the EGR pipe itself looks extremely rusted. I would not be surprised if I couldn’t get it off at all… but hopefully I can make progress by first detaching it from the manifold.

Thanks a ton for your helpful input.

Participant

I never got my egr pipe off the exhaust manifold. The nut rounded off first. Maybe I should have used a torch. Anyway, I hope you have better luck with it. There are a lot of videos of the Maxima that tell you to clean a 4″ long pipe, but the Altima pipe is more like 2 ‘ long and of course the hottest end should have the most carbon buildup so I was quite disappointed when I couldn’t get mine off.
                    Good luck.

CliffCliff
                    Participant

The pipe itself being clogged would explain why the EGR vacuum line being disconnected was only a temporary fix (for about 2 weeks), and why taking some of the screws out that hold the exhaust manifold heat shield on and also open up holes in the manifold itself (there is one on each side) seemed to improve the running, as that would let off some of the pressure ahead of the EGR pipe itself.

I have a torch, so maybe I can get the 24mm nut off of the exhaust manifold itself. We’ll see. The engine has run hot in the past on several occasion so it might be pretty well baked on there.

Participant

If the egr is leaning out the mixture too much during acceleration, cleaning the passages will only increase the pressure and may make the problem worse. I’d clean them if they are dirty, but then look for a back pressure problem at the catalytic convertor. Maybe try running it with the pipe at the bottom of the exhaust manifold listened to take the rear convertor out of the system. A back pressure gauge would be nice here but loostening bolts is a cheaper test.

CliffCliff
                        Participant

I have a basic vacuum gauge but not really sure how to use it in this case.

I have the reverse problem, sort of – the worst of the problem is at idle. Under load, it runs fine (if really inefficiently).

I’m also not sure if I can loosen the bolts that go to the cat. Maybe. I’ve looked in that area before because I was thinking that if I took it off, and it ran fine, I’d have identified the cat as the problem. Unfortunately, my cat is welded on (I think it has been replaced once before) and the warm-up cat just after the exhaust manifold and O2 sensor is impossible for me to get off without lifting the car far enough off the ground that I can get sufficient torque on the rusty bolts attached from underneath. Something I could do in my backyard, but I’d have to build a couple of ramps. Not something I’m eager to do.

Participant

A vacuum gauge can show intake vacuum decreasing when the valve is open so it might show unusually low vacuum at idle if the egr valve is still open. That’s about all the vacuum gauge can do. With a working egr, the valve moves when you rev the engine and then immediately closes again if there is no load such as during a test with the vehicle in park. Just remember the idle problem only happens if the egr is open at idle so if your new valve is working right, the problem should have been solved. Or maybe the valve is getting foreign objects from the upstream side or egr pipe and exhaust manifold that prevent it from closing all the way. Don’t worry about anything past the valve in the intake manifold to solve the idle problem. It’s the valve and the pipe before it, and the valve probably needs to be cleaned again.

CliffCliff
                            Participant

OK, I got to the EGR pipe itself. Eric’s video told me I needed a 30mm and 24mm wrench, so I got some more wrenches. The 30mm nut at the top of the pipe came right off – I think it must have been taken off in December 2014 when I had the intake manifold gasket repaired. Looked like there was some silicon on the threads. So that’s cool.

However, I took the exhaust manifold heat shield off (also requires taking out the radiator fans), and got to the 24mm nut at the bottom. It’s completely rust-frozen in, it seems. Here’s a pic before I used a brass wire brush and slow-sprayed some penetrating oil. As you can see, I started to round the 24mm nut off a little bit when I applied my rubber mallet to the wrench, so I stopped.

While getting the radiator fans out, I spilled some coolant. I’ll need to clean that up (I inherited a really messy engine compartment and have never bothered to clean it up… :blush: ).

Any advice? I have some 12-inch stainless steel tube cleaning brushes on the way, and I can get into the top end of the pipe, but I’ve read that the bottom end is the one more likely to be clogged and it’s not exactly a straight pipe. If I can’t get the nut off, could I hacksaw the pipe, clean it out from the break, and then solder on a “patch”, which I saw somebody else do?

You can also see into the warm-up three-way cat here. When I peer in through that O2 hole, it appears to be all white – so it’s fine, right?

Participant

Can you unbolt the catalytic convertor from the exhaust manifold, just below the egr pipe connection? That might allow you to access the pipe. On the Altima I had in Texas, that was all one piece, with a support bracket bolted to the block at the bottom of the manifold/ downpipe assembly. Looks like you can go after 6 bolts connecting the pre cat to the exhaust manifold and possibly a support bolt and drop the pre cat out the bottom of the engine bay. It’s also got 3 nuts connecting it to a flexible exhaust line under the engine.

CliffCliff
                                Participant

[quote=”Timothy S” post=164784]Can you unbolt the catalytic convertor from the exhaust manifold, just below the egr pipe connection? That might allow you to access the pipe. On the Altima I had in Texas, that was all one piece, with a support bracket bolted to the block at the bottom of the manifold/ downpipe assembly. Looks like you can go after 6 bolts connecting the pre cat to the exhaust manifold and possibly a support bolt and drop the pre cat out the bottom of the engine bay. It’s also got 3 nuts connecting it to a flexible exhaust line under the engine.[/quote]

Thanks for keeping up with the thread, I really appreciate it. It’s nice to have a second voice.

I can get to those bolts holding the pre-cat on, maybe. They are done from underneath, but now that I’m working in a driveway and not at the curb I can jack up the car and maybe get at them from underneath. I will try it sometime this week. I already know I can get the exhaust manifold off of the engine block, as I’ve taken those fasteners off before when I thought I could get the pre-cat out. I may need to take some more stuff out of the engine compartment if I go that route, as I may not be able to pull the pre-cat + EGR pipe assembly out given the shape of the pipe itself. Here’s a pic from before I took the heat shield off. I may have to take the distributor assembly out if I want to take the manifold + EGR pipe out.

If I 100% knew this was the problem, I would just replace the exhaust manifold (~$80) and EGR pipe (~$40) themselves. In this pic you can see that my exhaust manifold may have a crack all the way through it, right in the middle. :dry: You can also see the after effects of a cracked radiator from ~2012 on some of the things below the manifold (you can see that coolant looked into the engine bay). I’ll have to clean that up, too.

CliffCliff
                                  Participant

I finally went out and looked at it again. I got this assembly off, which the EGR pipe connects into and you can see beginning at 7:48 in Eric’s video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKFJxnn4IIQ).

I started trying to get a 1″ steel pipe cleaner into the EGR pipe and got it stuck, but in order to do so I had to take this off. So I did, and promptly got my pipe cleaning brush stuck inside. I’ll need to get my pliers to get it out, so I decided to spray some carb cleaner into this assembly anyway since it was all black inside. The larger interior area, while dirty, is clear enough for air to flow – interesting. I wonder if this means the EGR pipe itself is the same (dirty, but not clogged). Anyway, I clean off the end of this narrow little tube which goes to the EGR valve stuff… and sure enough, I can’t blow through it. So I spray carb cleaner in there and it starts coming out brown and black, but it’s really not good enough. I’m going to need to really get this pipe cleaned out, I think, and then try putting it back together to see if the problem is fixed “good enough.”

Any ideas for this little pipe? If I get it out, should I just replace it (anyone know where I could buy one, and what it’s even called? heh)? Or could I perhaps cut it off and buy, and then bend into shape, a piece of steel tubing of the proper size? Welding or soldering it onto the cut-off section? Basically, I was wondering if I could cut it just above where the nut is, as it starts to curve, and clean it from there and then either clean and re-attach the cut off section that goes to the EGR, or simply replace it?

For the EGR pipe, would it be safe to spray carb cleaner in the top and see if it comes out the bottom? Or would that be a terrible idea (either the carb cleaner itself or the junk in the pipe being bad for the pre-cat)?

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…
                                  https://mothersrestaurant.net/ https://www.davisvanguard.org/ https://el-supermercado.com/ https://www.semiaccurate.com/ https://blackthornk9.com/ https://www.hb-hautsdefrance.com/ https://www.lowerkeyschamber.com/ https://www.hb-hautsdefrance.com/ https://www.structuralguide.com/ https://batelskitchen.com/ https://mothersrestaurant.net/ http://www.dolomite-microfluidics.com/ https://mbkm.unimen.ac.id/-/greate/ https://mbkm.unimen.ac.id/-/logdata/ https://adv.nishinippon.co.jp/
                                  slot gacor monperatoto slot gacor slot gacor gampang menang monperatoto monperatoto monperatoto monperatoto monperatoto monperatoto monperatoto
                                  slot gacor hari ini
                                  monperatoto
                                  monperatoto
                                  toto togel
                                  toto slot
                                  pengeluaran macau
                                  situs togel
                                  monperatoto
                                  bandar togel
                                  monperatoto
                                  bandar togel
                                  monperatoto